regret | AU (6)

category: series
subcategory: alternate universe — soulmate
ex. a universe where every individual is meant for another; it is up to the universe whether they are found

previously: why does it feel like he has all the answers?
continuing: does everything that's so wrong feel so damn good?

third person
warnings: language, light mature content
word count: 2,070
9:57 pm | love is never easy

Out of all the things science could not explain, you were convinced that soulmates were the most peculiar. The idea, the concept, that there was someone created just for another human being was difficult to understand. It was especially difficult to understand when one never met their soulmate.

Everyone had a soulmate. Everyone had a special someone, another body that would fit so wonderfully with their own. But sometimes, life happened. Sometimes, the universe decided that you didn't deserve that person, or that you were meant for something else, and then you lost them. You lost them forever. Those people were the ones who hated the concept, who hated seeing such hope walk the streets.

When the universe took someone's soulmate, it was a gut-wrenching pain. Many described it as a knife, lodged into an artery desperately trying to pump blood through their heart, and every time they tried to move it, it just made the pain worse. Because if they removed it, they would just bleed out.

Sitting on the ledge of your fire escape, you were beginning to breathe faster, panic a little. You were so afraid of having to feel that. You were so scared, so terrified that maybe the universe had decided you would never meet your soulmate. You were panicking because you were afraid of how it would feel. You knew there was no pain worse than that of the heart.

How long would you scream? For how long would you cry? How long would the pain last? Would it ever go away? Would you ever be the same? Could you ever love anything after that?

You hadn't felt that feeling yet, however, so you still held onto hope. If you still felt incredibly alive, then so was your soulmate. But being upset was an understatement. You had taken precious time out of your life to search for your significant other. You had dedicated hours and embarrassing conversations with people to find him. Once you found him, you knew, you would be absolutely livid.

Then there was the situation of Spider-Man. That lovely, incredible superhero that you had befriended. That insanely attractive, sweet vigilante that came to you at night, that dangled love in front of your eagerness. You knew how you felt about him; it wasn't a feeling like towards a friend, that much you knew. But Spider-Man was already meant for someone else.

But if loving Spider-Man felt like this, you wondered what it would be like to love your soulmate.

"You look a little lost," a voice chuckled. You pushed your glasses up your nose, looking up from the railing and noticing Spider-Man hanging from one hand and a foot on the wall. You rolled your eyes and giggled.

"You're a showoff," you observed, shaking your head. He chuckled again as he joined you against the railing. He sat down beside you, keeping close to you in case you fell. "Trying to impress me?"

"Well, did it work?"

"Maybe."

You were turning red now, and you were glad that it was dark. Your cheeks flushed against the fall air, and you decided you would blame the weather if he asked about how pink your cheeks were. Spider-Man folded his hands in his lap, looking out at the city with you. The lights twinkled in the horizon, blazing bright. It was beautiful.