stupid | AU (4)

category: series
subcategory: alternate universe — soulmate
ex. a universe where every individual is meant for another; it is up to the universe whether they are found

previously: doesn't he have better things to do than help you?
continuing: maybe you're just looking at it all wrong

third person
warnings: maybe language, fluff
word count: 2,626
4:23 pm | something is missing

Your hunt for your soulmate was slowing becoming a humiliating and embarrassing job. Every place you marked off your list was another failure to add, and you would be lying if you said the encounters weren't awkward and completely misunderstood. You felt stupider each time you left your soulmate candidates behind you.

The bell rang as you opened the door. Your heels echoed along the sidewalk as you sulked away from the coffee shop, swallowing hard in disappointment. When you felt movement beside you, you knew he was there already, waiting for you to say something.

"So...anything?" Spider-Man pressed. You sniffled as you adjusted your glasses, shaking your head. You wiped at your eyes to rid yourself of any sadness.

"He just looked at me like I was stupid and showed me his dumb brand," you complained, shaking your head again. Spider-Man sighed beside you, shrugging his shoulders. "He was cute, too, I was really hoping he was gonna be it."

"Well, to be honest, (y/n), you're supposed to feel something when you see them," he explained. You made a sour face and stuck your tongue out at him. The whites of his mask narrowed at you.

"Oh, yeah? What makes you such an expert?" You taunted. He chuckled a little beside you, and you rolled your eyes when you realized your mistake. Of course Spider-Man had a soulmate. He was perfect. "I should've known."

"W-What?"

"That you had a soulmate," you finished. Spider-Man walked with you as you turned onto your apartment block. You had finished the list for Wednesday by now, and you needed to pick up the Thursday list. You only had a couple more days to go through, but you knew in your heart by this point that it was unlikely he was in any of the places you listed. You were sure you had met him on Tuesday. Nothing made sense now.

"I didn't mean to...rub it in," Spider-Man tried to apologize. You smiled sadly to yourself. You were sorry, too. It wasn't Spider-Man's fault that you had the worst  luck in the entire world. It wasn't his fault that the only person he couldn't help was you; maybe the universe had lessened the whole in your heart in an attempt at pitying you. Maybe she pitied you because she knew you would be alone forever.

"No, it's okay," you assured him. "I figured you had one."

"Why do you say that?"

"You're a hero. And you got...really nice things going on," you gestured to his physique, making him laugh again. "So, I'm not surprised."

You made it to the column of stairs that made up what was the fire escape, and you shut your eyes. Spider-Man reached out and pulled you into his chest, where you buried your forehead as he raised the two of you up to your floor. You finally opened them, hurrying inside to escape the autumn cold.

Spider-Man shut the window behind you, and something inside him stung as he watched you slump into your desk chair. He slid his backpack off, resting on the floor. You two had come to an agreement that he would sit on the floor now after you caught him the other day swinging out of a dumpster.