Chapter 10 - Argument

Hermione had a stricken look on her face, like a deer in headlights. You could clearly tell that she for once, had no idea what to do.

"Yeah, she was just answering that before you butted in," Ginny said with a cynical look in her face.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked Draco, with a challenging look in his eyes.

Draco, cool as ever, said in a silky voice,"Finally, someone notices me! I thought you were going to drill poor Hermione exhausted for conferring with the 'enemy' ," Said Draco with air quotes, the usage of her first name not going unnoticed by any of them.

"Hermione?!" Ron exclaimed, incredulously, "Since when do you call her Hermione?"

"Since I found out she is my mum's batchmate's daughter."

"What?!? What do you mean?" Said Harry, and then, turning to Hermione, "Aren't your parents muggles? Won't the Malfoys hate them?"

"Well, not exactly. They're squibs."

"Squibs? And you never even told us?!" Ginny cried, with an exasperated look on her face, throwing her hands in the air in disbelief.

"Well, I just found out a few months ago! You think I would've hidden something like that from you?"

"Ok, ladies, stop! I don't understand why this is such a big deal. I'm friends just with her, not you lot," interrupted Draco.

"Yeah, but we're friends with her, so technically we're friends too, but we're not actually friends, so — " Ginny was cut off.

"Ok stop it guys! Malfoy just admit which spell you've put on her and we can part our ways happily." Said Ron finally having finished his pasty.

"I haven't put a spell on her, you git. Her parents actually are squibs, and very good friends of my mother, in fact, so we're family friends." Said Draco coolly.

"I don't believe you." Said Harry simply, as if his believing or not made any difference.

"It's true, Harry. He's telling the truth." Said Hermione sheepishly.

"What?!? Are you serious? You're actually friends with that evil snake? No, it must be a joke," Said Ron, shaking his head, unwilling to accept it.

"Ron don't call him that! And Draco! Don't call him a git! I'm not asking you to be friends but at least act civilised! And that goes for you too," Hermione said the last part looking pointedly towards Harry and Ginny.

"After all he's done to us you expect us to be civilised with him?" Said Harry, incredulously.

"Yes, I do! There is a thing called forgive and forget, Harry." Hermione said in a stern, no non-sense tone. "Now, let's discuss this all later, on the train, or we'll miss it." With that she stormed towards the train and the others had no choice but to follow.

She sat inside an empty compartment, right next to the window, and stared out the glass with such an incinerating look that a small boy standing outside looking at the train saw her and started to cry. She looked away, feeling ashamed, her glare softening.

Why did I let myself get so worked up? I didn't even explain everything to Harry and Ron properly... Hermione sighed loudly and rested her head on the back of the seat.

Soon, she closed her eyes and was lulled into a fitful sleep.