Chapter 18 - Bad Influences, More Envious Gingers and Shady Deals

"May I ask why you are late, Miss Granger?"

Hermione was standing at the door of the transfiguration classroom, looking as if she had just run a mile.

"Um, sorry professor, I slept in..."

"I'm letting it go for now, but let's not make this a habit. You can take your seat."

"Thank you professor." Hermione said rushing to her seat, looking extremely relieved.

Just as she sat down, Draco casually walked in as if he weren't ten minutes late. His hair was uncharacteristically ruffled, as if he hadn't had time to make it in the morning.

"Yes, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Yes, Professor McGonagall?" mimicked Draco.

"May I ask why you are late? Again?"

"I slept in." Draco smirked as if it had a hidden meaning.

"You too?" McGonagall asked with raised eyebrows, her gaze flickering from Draco to Hermione. "I'm afraid I'll have to give you detention, Mr. Malfoy. This is the third time you're late to my class this week."

Draco shrugged and took a seat next to Hermione.

The class continued as usual but one person, to be specific, Ron Weasley wasn't paying attention at all. In fact, what he was thinking was more along the lines of:

Hermione late to a class? That's never happened before. Nor has she ever slept in. I bet she was with Malfoy.

Ron's ears turned red and he clenched his fists.

He's a bad influence on her. What I'm going to do is good for her, Ron thought, trying to convince himself.

Of course, he conveniently forgot that
he and Harry had been a bad influence on her too.

First she called Weasel, then she got late to class. What will she do next? End up in detention?

~~~~~~~~~~~~(Time Lapse)~~~~~~~~~
"Detention, Ms. Granger." Professor Sprout barked at Hermione.

She looked up, confused.

"I told you to keep your earmuffs back after planting the Mandrakes."

Hermione's mouth parted in an 'O'.
"Sorry Professor."

Truth be told, this really wasn't a matter for detention. But Sprout was not in a good mood as nearly half the class didn't know the second name for Mandrakes (Mandragoras) even though they had learnt it in their second year.

See? I knew it, thought Ron from the sidelines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~(Time Lapse)~~~~~~~~~
"Listen, Ginny." Ron said to Ginny, who was doing her Potions assignment in the library.

"What?" Ginny urged him to continue, looking up from her parchment, a bit annoyed.

"Can I ask you for a favour..." Ron trailed off looking a bit unsure.

"Uhh...what favour?" Ginny asked suspiciously.

"So you know Fred and George's love potion? Well I was hoping you could ask them to send it."

"And why will I do that?"

"Because they won't give it me."

She raised her eyebrows, sceptically, "And might I ask what's in it for me?"

"I'll put in a good word for you to Harry." Ron said, looking hopeful.

"Not enough," Ginny said, "I am perfectly capable of doing that by myself."

Ron looked a bit uncomfortable at that, but he carried on.

"Well, you know the winter ball that's coming up?"

At this, Ginny shut her book and leaned forward, interested,"I'm listening."

"I can get you a date with Harry to the winter ball." Ron said with a dejected sigh.

"When do you need the potion?"

"As soon as possible."

Ginny didn't reply immediately. She took her time, first putting her assignment in her book bag, swinging it onto her shoulder and then putting her long, flaming hair into a ponytail.

Of course, Ron was very impatient during this whole process. Perhaps his sister was doing this for that very same reason.

"Well, Ronniekins," she finally said, "Consider the job done."