Unnatural

"Jake." 

Jake bit his tongue, as his wolf lunged to the surface at the insubordinate tone in Liam's voice. It was a physical strain to keep a lid on his wolf, his hands curling into fists, nails piercing the palm of his hand. His wolf longed to grab Liam by the throat in a display of dominance and have him submit until he remembered his place in this pack; Jake's pack.

Sensing the inner turmoil, Liam adjusted his hunched posture and took a step back. "Alpha," he corrected. "What is going on? Who is this wolf? I've never seen you like this." Jake turned from him, his attention drifting back through the door and into the room. "I can sense your fear; your panic, across the pack link. We all can. Who is she?"

Jake forced himself to focus on Liam, frustration ticked in the back of his mind. He wished he could give Liam an answer that would explain away all of his behaviour, but honestly, he didn't know what was going on. All he knew, was that the she-wolf on the other side of that door, meant more to him than even he realised.

"I don't know her, she just appeared on pack territory. She's injured, so we're offering her safety." His voice clipped and tone laced with anger.

"I know all about the bar, I heard about it. Everyone has. Even Elenor." Jake's eyes snapped up to Liam's face. Worry clawed at the wolf's face, a tension had settled around his eyes. Jake swore under his breath and ran a hand through his hair, pinned by Liam's gaze. "She's an outsider who turned up on pack territory and yet you're putting her safety above ours. When the wolf that attacked her realises that she's not dead, he'll come for her - and all of us. We should get her healed up enough that she'll survive and then get her out of here."

The growl caught Jake off guard as much as it did Liam. Within seconds, Jake's wolf had lunged to the surface and forced Liam backwards until his spine met the wall of the house. Jake's eyes had gone full wolf now, as he leant into Liam's face, lips pulled back to expose his canine teeth. It was the wolf that spoke now, his voice a shade lower, his eyes an unnatural yellow. "Say that again and I'll tear your throat out." Responding to the threat, Liam's own eyes flash yellow, before he fought to restrain his wolf. 

Seeing the conflict in his friend's eyes broke the moment and allowed Jake to regain control. He blinked and stepped back, releasing Liam from his hold. He let out a long sigh and once again ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry Liam, but the she-wolf stays until I'm sure the threat to her is over. That isn't optional. She's safe her-" His words were drowned out by a blood-curdling scream, that sent fear shooting down Jake's spine.

Lunging into the house, his wolf at his back, Jake paused at the scene. His she-wolf screamed and fought as three of his men tried to hold her down, whilst Doc sat back on his heels on the floor and watched the scene with a mixture of surprise and horror. "I can't help her like this!" He cried as his gaze landed on Jake. 

Frozen between the anger at the hands on his she-wolf, surprise at her strength and fear that something awful had happened to her, Jake could only watch on. Behind him, Liam had walked back in unnoticed, until he suggested: "Tranq her?" As he eyed the tranq gun Jake kept in the corner.

Jake's "No" chased Liam's voice, as an anger pitted itself in his stomach. The she-wolf instantly quietened and Jake released a breath, thinking that maybe the worst was over. The room gave a collective sigh of relief before the tricky she-wolf twisted out of their grip and claws caught skin. 

Doc darted backwards, having tried to return to his work, now cradling a bleeding arm. The others moved away as she tore at the air, eyes burning yellow. In three strides Jake had grabbed the gun from where it had leant against the wall for as long as Jake could remember before he spun around and pulled the trigger.

By the time the dart hit her and she'd succumbed to the serum, Jake had reached her side and caught her body as it fell towards the ground. Sweeping her legs from underneath her, he carried her back to the sofa, where Doc stood tending his own wounds. Laying her down he looked around the room at the state his wolves were in. He could feel their annoyance with him and fear of her. He ground his teeth and flexed his fists, struggling to contain a rage he didn't know he owned.

"We should get the healer."

"No." Jake snapped at Liam, narrowing his eyes at him. They were normally on the same page, so this new sense of annoyance at his closest friend was beginning to unsettle Jake.

"Liam's right Jake." Doc echoed, as he laid an old, weathered hand on his shoulder. "I can't heal her now, she's made her wounds worse and that tranq won't hold her forever. I know it's awkward, but-"

"No."

"Please son." Doc urged as he moved to stand in front of Jake, his aged eyes steadily staring at him, unwavering despite the anger Jake knew he held within his irises. 

Eventually, Jake's reluctance subsided as worry for the she-wolf took over. He hung his head and released a long, slow breath. "Fine. Trevor? Go, fetch Elenor." Trevor, one of his most loyal wolves nodded and took off at pace. "I hope I don't regret this," Jake said to Doc, as the old man chuckled and moved towards the she-wolf.

"I'm sure someone will."