Reunion

"Where are you?"

"South side, coming to you. We're about ten minutes away."

"Any issues?" Cassidy glanced up as Jake moved towards her, clearly realising that she was speaking to her pack.

"Kinda. We were spotted yesterday, but we're ok."

"I'll meet you here. It's so good to hear your voice, Saf'."

Cassidy smiled and focused back on the real world. "They're here, my pack are here!" Excitement spilled into her words and for the first time in weeks, Cassidy felt whole again.

As though unable to help himself, Jake smiled back at her. It was a broad, warm smile and one that sent a wave of ease over her and her wolf.

"Which gate are they at? I'll radio in to tell the guards to let them in." He offered, pulling a radio from a clip on his belt that she hadn't noticed.

"Umm, no need. They're here already."

Jake smiled, "it's no trouble. They won't be able to get in otherwise. If they didn't tell you, I'll just warn both gates."

"No, I mean..." Cassidy cleared her throat, suddenly uneasy. Technically her packed should have sought his permission to enter his territory - technically they should have used the gate. "...they're already on your pack lands. They're a few minutes out."

Jake chuckled, "no chance. We've got one of the finest perimeter alarms this side of the Pacific. There's no way anyone's getting through without being toasted by the electric current or without the alarm being tripped. It's no problem, I'll tell both gates."

Cassidy's pack never had been very good at grasping the idea of 'no entry' signs, fences, alarms or warnings. They were, however, very good at sneaking into places they shouldn't be.

"Honestly, Jake. They've made it through. They'll find a way to get around the perimeter alarm, trust me."

Something that looked a lot like doubt, flickered across Jake's face, before he broke back into an easy smile. "Ok. We'll know either way, soon enough."

Cassidy nodded tightly and forced a smile onto her face as Darcy began asking her questions about her pack. She tensed, ready for the question she hated the most.

"How did you become alpha?"

Cassidy's stomach twisted and images of pain flooded her mind, just as she thought she might drown, as the darkness clawed at her throat, a noise caught her attention.

Her pack.

Running as one tight unit, three sets of paws thudded against the hard ground and headed straight for them. She heard more than saw the three wolves beside her tense, and drop into a predatory stance.

Ignoring their bristling, knowing they didnt appreciate the new wolves on their territory without permission, Cassidy pushed past Jake and stood in front of him, smiling from ear to ear as her girls stopped at her feet, brushing their long bodies against her legs, the occasional tongue, darting out to lick her leg, causing her to curse.

Once they'd finished their greeting, she dropped to one knee and held her hands out, running them through their fur as they moved around her. "Home." She whispered as happiness chased the dull ache from her side and the discomfort her wolf felt in another wolf's territory.