Fight

Cassidy's howl surprised even herself. The anguish in it; the anger.

Caine leapt back, his wolf recognising a dangerous predator when it saw one. The silver burned her flesh as her wolf fought against her human skin for control. If she could, she'd let her out. As it was, her wolf was as trapped as Cassidy was.

Despite the burning chains, Cassidy spun around and crouched, baring her teeth at Caine and his men. Her eyes were no doubt glowing bright yellow, her world in monochrome.

Caine skittered back a few more steps as her growl dropped an octave. She wasn't sure she'd felt anger like this before. She knew she was as close to going Rogue and losing all sense of her human self as she ever had been.

Pain like she'd never felt before, was tearing at her chest, every heart beat building the pressure in her chest. Her hands had curled long ago, her wolf's claws sprouting from her finger tips and finding purchase in her palms.

"Secure her!" Caine yelled in panic at his men, who looked unwilling to get anywhere near her.

"We had a deal." She seethed, her tongue catching on a fang and drawing blood. The act brought Caine's wolf to the surface. He'd tried to fight Cassidy's display of her wolf, tried to fight the alpha waves crashing over him, but his wolf could not ignore the scent of blood - especially when it came from a wolf that Caine considered his.

Glowing yellow eyes promised an anger that Cassidy hadn't seen in Caine since the day she'd left. "Behave, Cassidy. Or I'll kill them all." He promised.

Cassidy scoffed, "you're going to kill them anyway, whether or not I rip your throat out." she finished on a growl. "Our deal was that you'd let them live if I went with you - but you lied."

His face curled into a cruel smile, "what did you expect? You stink of that alpha, Cassidy. I let him live if he's touched what's mine." He growled, his fear forgotten.

"We can make another deal?" He offered, holding his hands up in mock surrender as he took one step towards her, his eyes sliding to someone to Cassidy's right.

"Bullsh*t."

"Come on now, mate."

Cassidy flinched, her wolf lunging forwards, but in her anger she hadn't noticed the men flanking her - or just how close Caine had got.

By the time her ears heard the words, "get her." Someone had already grabbed the chains that held her, keeping her in place, as Caine darted forward and wrapped a hand around her throat, tightening his grip for effect.

"I told you to play nice Cassidy." He warned, lowly.

He nodded his head at the man to Cassidy's left, who then grabbed a fistful of her hair and yanked her head to the right.

"No." She gasped out, her throat constricted and eyes swimming.

"This might be familiar," Caine whispered into her ear as he closed the gap between them, "to the first time I mate claimed you."

Cassidy's stomach rolled as memories came flooding back, sapping the fight from her limbs.

"At least this time we'll be able to complete the mating ceremony. The sun is rising Cassidy, which means that the new moon is on the horizon. You'll be mine by midnight." He released her neck and placed a hand on her head to hold her in place, as if the wolf holding her hair hostage wasn't doing a good enough job.

Cassidy's wolf knew what was coming, so did she. Caine's teeth grazed across her neck and she froze. Her wolf instantly stilled, submitting to the mate mark, knowing that if she tried to fight it she'd die. When you have a predator's teeth in your neck the last thing you need to do is move, not with the jugular vein so close. Fear stole her voice, her breath, her everything.

"I'll make it a big mark, mate. Just so that everyone can see it."

Cassidy snarled, fighting the arms that held her, her wolf begging her to submit and survive. Her movement caused Caine's teeth to scratch across her skin, making her curse.

"It might hurt, but I promise to make it feel better later." He whispered, his breath so hot on her skin that it made her shudder in disgust. His free hand traced her hip, his fingers edging beneath the hem of her top.

As his finger tips met her flesh, heat shot through her body, though not in the way Caine would have preferred - not in the way her body had with Jake.

No, she was an untapped volcano of endless rage. She was about to self combust, as anger burned white hot through her.

She would burn the world to the ground before she let Caine make her his, because Cassidy Alma, Alpha of the Rootbridge pack, surviver of two evil Alphas (and more murder attempts than she cared to count), didn't belong to anyone.

As Caine's teeth sank into her flesh, tearing through muscle, Cassidy's wolf stilled, but the woman - the woman had other ideas.