Reflection

A wave of power followed the low growl. Although she was weakened, his she-wolf still packed a punch. His wolf howling in pride inside him, Jake fought back a smug smile as Elenor averted her gaze downwards, the physical strain of the dominant power evident in her stance.

He left Elenor struggling beneath his she-wolf's power for a moment, maybe two, before he rolled his shoulders and sent his own wave of power back, indicating to the she-wolf that he was Alpha here, whilst ensuring he wasn't challenging her.

His she-wolf didn't make another sound, and had relaxed back into the sofa. Yet Jake was acutely aware of the colour of her skin, her face slightly too pale and her forehead clammy. Whatever she'd been poisoned with has been deadly.

Before his anger was able to consume him, Eleanor's shrill voice distracted him. "I'll heal her if I can, Jakey, but I don't know why you want me to bother. She's not even one of our wolves." She waved her hand flippantly at Doc's silent protest to her words, but froze in her tracks at the deadly tone of Jake's voice.

"Mine."

The room took in an audible breath, as Liam gave Doc an alarmed glare. Jake realised they thought he was claiming her, though his wolf wouldn't have minded - and was actually really on board with that happening. He could claim her now and then when she's healed, they'd mate and have tiny wolf cubs an-

Liam cleared his throat.

"I mean, they're my wolves. It's my pack. I say who we do and don't heal and I, as your Alpha...." Guilt flashed through Jake's mind as his words echoed painful memories, "...and I say you heal her, so do as your told." He demanded, his tone level but insistent and his words backed by a wave of power.

Elenor, eyes firmly fixed on the floor, nodded silently and set about healing the she-wolf. The tension broke in the room as Elenor began telling the other wolves what she'd need. Bestowed with the ability to heal, Elenor was able to use the lifeblood and magic of her werewolf ancestors and rare herbs to heal other wolves, however it always came at a cost - namely to her power level, so she always required access to food, drink and a nap.

Jake walked away from the chaotic scene and walked into the kitchen, shaking hands plucking a glass from the cupboard and filling it with water.

As he sipped from the glass, his eyes met his own in the reflection of the window, yet it was not his face that he was met with, instead it was a memory of his father.

Pain ricocheted through his chest, as his eyes traced his father's familiar features. The hard line of his chin and the way his mouth was always twisted. He'd hated his father, from the moment he was old enough to understand his cruelty, to the moment he watched the last breath of life leave his body. A cruel Alpha, who led with fear and punishment, Jake had challenged him at a young age and had won. Ever since then he'd fought to be a better man than his father ever was. Yet look at him now.

Disgust quickly built within him, and without thinking he threw the glass into the sink, breaking the spell. His own face glared back at him along with Liam's concerned face.

Jake spun around to face his beta, knowing there was a lecture coming his way, but thankfully Elenor spoke up. "I'm ready. I'm going to need some help, there's extensive damage. You're going to need to hold her down."