Focus

Pain, rage, a darkness she couldn't deny. J's wolf ran on pure hatred, her paws thudding against the floor, the shockwaves reverberating up through her system.

Cassidy. It was the only thing she could think of. The only glimmer of light in an ocean of darkness.

Her wolf growled as though in response to the thought. Up ahead, J could sense Cassidy. Through the pack link she could practically taste Cassidy's fear, her anger and her pain.

She knew Cassidy, believed in her. Cassidy had shown strength that J could only dream of. She was her friend, one of the only people in the world who J would trust, protect and die for if required.

As they neared the perimeter, Caine's wolves began to seep from the shadows. As J's wolf tore them to pieces she recognised a few. They were nothing but a familiar scent in a blur of bloodshed, but it was enough to enrage J's wolf further.

As J bit down into the flank of the wolf who'd tried to pounce on her from behind, another wolf darted forwards and clamped his teeth around her hind leg. Her wolf threw its head back and howled in pain.

She knew she'd lost a lot of blood, her wolf's energy sapping. Focusing on the mission to save Cassidy, J pulled on every last resort of strength she had left to shake the wolf off of her, claws digging into the neck of the wolf she'd been attacking.

With a swift motion she was free, her breathing heavy and body listing to one side. She was drenched in blood, hers or another's, she wasn't sure.

She spied Jake, he was fighting off the last of the wolves who'd ambushed them. J knew there were more hiding in the trees, a voice inside demanded she hunt them down and make them bleed, but Cassidy was her focus.

She gently reminded her wolf of their mission, who quickly turned from the scent of the men and headed off to Cassidy, leaving Jake to kill the last wolf.

It was a good thing, J mused in the brief moment before bile rose and panic gripped her, that she had made it to the clearing first. It was a good thing, she reminded herself, that it was not Jake who'd seen the devastation. It was a good thing, she promised herself, that she could handle death.

***
A/N

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the short update this week and the lack of one last week. Those of you who follow me will be aware that sadly a family member passed away. I'm hoping that next week updates will return to normal.

Thanks for reading,

V_F