Memory

Cassidy groaned and rolled over, leaning her arm over her face. Her head was heavy, drowsy memories drifting across her mind.

Where was she?

She took in a deep breath and her wolf practically purred. Jake's house. His scent was wrapped around her, cradling her.

Jake. Was he alive? Her wolf's answering yip was enough to settle her fluttering pulse.

Slowly she opened her eyes and sat up, stretching her arms high above her head. Where was Jake? How did she get here?

She twisted her arms in either direction, searching her skin for any sign of the battle she'd fought. Faint scars hinted at wounds, but her shifter healing meant that she was nearly in one piece. Though that didn't mean she didn't ache.

She groaned as she stood up, her leg protesting. Pulling down the fabric of her trousers she could see a fading bite mark from when Caine had torn through muscle and flesh. That would take a while to heal.

Caine.

She paused, heart hammering in her chest. Was he alive? Had he escaped? Panic swarmed through her mind.

Her breathing came out in short gasps, her hand slapping across her chest. Her vision swam and blurred as she steadied herself on the end of the bed.

Just as the darkness began to close in, a soothing light echoed through her mind as someone shared images across the pack link.

Caine was dead, J had seen to that.

The packlink was stronger than she'd ever known it to be and burned bright in her mind. She'd never been connected to so many wolves before, Jake's entire pack were there - her entire pack.

Cassidy bit her lip to hide the smile that tried to escape. Her pack, Jake's pack, they were mated.

A frown crossed her face as she wondered when her wolf had accepted him as a mate, but she realised it was probably her, the human, who'd made the decision. When she'd been faced with losing him, she'd realised she couldn't live without him.

Cassidy shook her head and knew she needed to see Jake, plus if her grumbling stomach wasn't mistaken, there was bacon downstairs.

She skipped down the staircase and paused at the bottom. The house was quiet, empty. A plate of bacon sat half eaten on the kitchen side.

Cassidy grabbed a piece and went in search of Jake, using her wolf to sniff him out.

The front door was left ajar, sunlight pouring in through the slim gap. She kicked it open and padded barefoot out onto the porch.

Jake stood leaning against the railings, arms braced wide apart. He was tense but trying to hide it, the muscles in his shoulders flexing.

She watched him for a moment in silence, a smile playing around her lips. He was alive.

She stepped out and joined him in the light, standing beside him, millimetres apart.

A long-abandoned cup of coffee perched on the railing post, he didn't turn to her, his eyes closed and a tranquil smile across his face.

She smiled at him and turned to look out across the forest.

'Our forest,' her wolf added.

Cassidy's smile grew wider.

Unable to look away from him for too long, and her wolf urging her to greet their mate, Cassidy leant her head against Jake's shoulder, winding her arm around his.