Chapter 9

I've done it before

It couldn't be. The brown haired girl, with matching wide, but annoyingly sweet, eyes. She looked about eight, but I knew she was eight. And I knew her name too, even though she probably wouldn't recognise it. She probably wouldn't recognise me. But she was there.

My little sister was right in front of me.

I wasn't sure whether to be relieved, or thoroughly distressed - after all, my own sister would not know me. I wanted to call out to her, hug her like the world was about to end, but I knew I mustn't. I had to restrain myself, for I would be considered a lunatic. Fortuantely, it would mean that I would fit in with the GMD kids perfectly, but I wasn't so sure how Gabby would take it.

"Who are you? Why are you in here?" she asked, seeming slightly terrified. She used the posh accent that the GMD kids only used in class when she spoke to us. I raised my eyebrows, trying not to laugh at this change of accent.

"This is Ginger, and I'm Ziggy. No, Jack. My name's Jack now."

"Oh my! You're from the GMD children. I thought it was impossible. The guards are trained to keep you out."

"Sleeping on the job." Jack smirked.

"Oh my! I shall have to report this to Miss Pearlman. It is terrible." Gabby seemed to take a minute for it to sink in, and then she jerked her head back towards us, ready to fire her questions. "You never answered my question. Why are you here? Who are you? What are you going to do? I shall have to report you."

"Easy, we only want to ask a few questions. It's not that hard, is it?" I said.

"Interrogation? I must call the alarm immediately." That sounded like Gabby. Make everything threatening sound worse than it actually is, snitching - admittedly, I did that a lot too, and always managing to quite stupidly tell you her next move.

She began to move towards us, heading for the door, but I knew we could easily stop her; she was only eight. I braced myself, ready to catch her as she charged towards us, my arms outstretched, my body blocking her way. She had a feisty face on, ready to fight me, as she always was, not caring that I was far stronger than her.

But she barged straight past me.

She knocked Jack and me to the floor in one mighty shove, without so much as a small breath. I was shocked by this sudden outburst of strength, wondering where she had gained such power. Jack seemed a little startled by being knocked down, but half seemed to have been expecting it. I looked up in confusion, and both of them noticed. It was Gabby's turn to smirk.

"You must forget, GMS children are highly trained. We have no impurities or, malfunctions. We can reach a far higher ability than any of you."

"Impurities? Malfunctions!?" exclaimed Jack.

"Yes, now, I'm off. See you later, infiltrators. Oh, that rhymes."

"Not really." I muttered. But she was already heading away. Jack had scrabbled up, trying to go after Gabby, whilst I stumbled up, telling Jack to go on. He was doing so anyway, and seemed to completely ignore me. I was just making my way to the now open door, when I heard what sounded like some kind of explosion, and a gasp. I became more alert, wondering what on earth could have possibly caused that. Had someone seen them? Had Jack been caught? I considered waiting in silence for a while, just to see what would happen, but there was really no point; Gabby already knew where I was.

Running out into the corridor, I was shocked at the sight. Gabby was lyging on the floor, as solid as stone, her mouth half open, frozen in mid-scream. The body had an eeiry lilac glow to it, that seemed to be sparkling, slowly settling down, like she had been hit with it. And right next to me was Jack, his hands glowing in the same colour, mysteriously fading away. I looked at him in astonishment, trying to work out what had just happened. But as soon as I realised, I wondered why nothing like it had already happened.