Thank Rao

Kara POV

"Okay, so, you have your clothes? What about your purse?" Alex asked, holding me up. I just nodded, afraid of what might happen if I tried to speak. "Lena, could you take Kara to the car, I will be down soon," Alex said, throwing the keys. I caught them and gave them to Lena.

"Yeah, sure," she giggled as she put her left arm around my waist and pulled my right arm over her shoulder. We made our way slowly to the car. We both sat in the backseat. I had my head rested against the window but I was staring at Lena, who was on her phone.

"Okay!" Alex shouted as she opened the door. "Let's get this show on the road."

"You have too much energy," I said, then because I spoke, a coughing fit started. It felt like an hour that I was coughing up drops of blood but in reality, it was only a minute.

"Are you ok? Do you need a drink?" Lena asked and I nodded, still coughing a little. "Here," she whispered and held the bottle of water while I gulped down the fluid.

"Thanks," I whispered, unsure of whether she heard me or not. This whole time, Alex was just sitting in the driver's seat. She was unusually calm like she knew something that we didn't. She started the car and within a few seconds, I was fast asleep.

DREAM

I awoke with Lena not to my right in the car and a stranger driving. The word strange crossed the back of my mind and I tried to figure out who was driving.

"So, where are we off to, Miss?" He said. His voice was soft and gentle, all too familiar.

"Mon-El? But how?" I said, moving closer to the front section of the car.

"My name is Mike, Miss." He looked confused. "What is yours?" I couldn't speak. My soul mate was sitting in the driver's seat of a car my sister was driving before. But he didn't know me. "Hurry up and tell me, we need to go!" He sounded stressed, I looked at his face in the mirror and saw fear in his eyes.

"What is going on?"

"You can't fight this one! We have to leave, you can't fight." He started yelling and I turned around and saw a cloud of darkness which caught up to us quickly.

I jolted upright. I was back in the car with Lena and Alex.

Lena POV

It had been two months since Kara was diagnosed and finally, she was recovering and was allowed to come home. Sitting in the backseat with her, holding her hand while she slept, I started to think of what I would do if she died. I hadn't considered it until now, the possibility that she would be lost to us forever. I looked at her and noticed she was having another nightmare. There was nothing I could do except to wait it out. It killed me to know she was suffering every night. At least she was getting sleep. Suddenly she sat up, groaning in pain.

"Thank Rao," She croaked. I just looked at her as she stared out the window. I was unsure of what to say, so I just grabbed her hand again. "I am sorry, I wish everything would just go back to normal." She coughed again and clutched her side.

"You have absolutely nothing to be sorry for! Here, take another couple of sips." I handed her the water and she finished the almost full bottle. Alex stayed silent, she had been like this since Maggie left. Kara hadn't been told but Maggie was getting angry at Alex for spending all of her time at the hospital. On one hand, I can see Maggie's point. But I can also see Alex's view, her sister is dying.

"We are here," Alex said without emotion. We walked through the doors of Kara's apartment building and headed to the elevator. The whole time, I had my arms around her, supporting her so she wouldn't fall. When we got to the apartment, Alex opened the door and put Kara's things down. "I am going to stay here for the next few nights. I just need to head home to grab some stuff. Lena, take care of her?" She pleaded.

"I promise."

Alex left and I sat Kara on the couch. I walked to her bed and grabbed her blanket, seeing she was cold. I grabbed my phone out of my handbag which was sitting on the kitchen floor, sat next to her and she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Lena, what would you wear to my funeral?" I heard a small voice, hoarse and in pain, ask a question I would never expect to hear from someone so kind and positive.

"Hard to choose, there are two outfits that come to mind. I saw this really gorgeous dress on a stunning lady about a year ago. I would never pull it off but I could try it if she let me. This blue, dress that went to her knees at the front and her ankles at the back, showed as little cleavage as possible and looked absolutely amazing on this girl I fell in love with."

"What would be the other?" She said with a smirk.

"Nothing. Just my birthday suit."

"I would like that... can I see it on you now? Make sure it is the right fit and all?"

"Sneaky, but no. I am afraid it would excite you too much, we don't want your heart rate too high."

"What about the other dress then? I think I have a similar one sitting on my dresser."

"Oh, what a coincidence!" I said and stood up. I made my way over to her room and marvelled at how clean it was. I envy her, the way she kept her apartment so tidy, the way she was dying but was still as positive and happy as ever. I saw the dress and was stunned that it was covered in dust. "How you let such a beautiful dress get all dusty and dirty?"

"It is me after all..." She replied, coughed a little and then sighed.

"True," I said. I was finally in the dress and it was so comfortable. I walked out and did a catwalk turn.

"You look stunning Miss Luthor."

"You too, Miss..." I stopped for a second. I knew her last name was Danvers on earth. I wanted to know what her last name was from Krypton. "What is your Kryptonian name?"

"Kara Zor-El." She said. I walked over to her and sat to her right.

"You have never told me about Krypton."

"My world was dying, I was sent to earth to protect my cousin, Superman. I got stuck in a place where time doesn't pass and when I finally arrived on earth, Kal-El didn't need my protection, he was already Superman. I was taken to the Danvers family where I grew up as Kara Danvers, they loved me like their own daughter. Alex treated me like her own sister."

"That is why she is so worried. Because you two have been this close for so long."

"And now she won't have me to keep her safe." She laughed and winced.

"Don't say that. Wait, why do you say that?"

"Because I know that this treatment isn't working and the next one has a one in a billion chance of working."

"You know, this sounds strange, me telling you to have hope. But..." I paused, giggling on the inside that I was about to tell a woman to wears the symbol of hope on her chest while she fights crime in the most moral way, to have hope. "Have a little bit of hope." As I said that, Alex walked in.

"There is no point having hope when you know what the outcome is," Alex said. we weren't sure of what she meant until. "Kara will heal, with time. And you two will live happily ever after."

"I am getting so tired," Kara said after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

"Okay, can you stand on your own?" Alex said, getting up to help her if she needed it. Kara stood up and almost collapsed. I caught her and carried her to bed. 

"Apparently not..." She said and drifted off to sleep.

"I will take the first shift, go have a shower and rest, I will wake you up when it is your turn or if anything happens," Alex said. I nodded and walked to the couch. I was still wearing my work clothes but I didn't care, I laid down on the couch and fell asleep. Unaware that the dream that I was about to have was more than just a dream.