Awake

Kara POV 

I sat Alura on the chair and looked at her knee.

"I... I think we may h...have to amp...utate!" I looked up at the frowning teenager. I laughed.

"Mum, all I need is a band-aid, just let me do it!" She went to stand and I sat her back down.

"Alura, I am p...perfectly ca..." I couldn't think of the word. I knew that the word was somewhere in my brain, I just couldn't get it out. I looked at the ground, still trying to figure out the word.

"Capable?"

"Capable... of g...getting a band-aid."

"Mum, I can tell the aphasia is getting worse."

"Every...thing is f...fine." I tried to get it out quickly. I stood and limped my way over to the cupboard with the first aid kit in it. I grabbed it, almost dropping it as it was way heavier than I expected. I placed it on the table less than gracefully and opened it. There was a band-aid just the right size for the graze on my daughter's knee.

"Thanks, mum," she said when I stuck the band-aid to the wound.

"You're w...welcome." I stuttered. She stood and grabbed her board again. "Hey! What d...do you th...think you're doing?"

"Going back out with Felicity."

"No!" I said, not wanting Felicity's bad influence on my daughter to get any worse.

"Why not?" She whined.

"B...because Felicity is bad for y...you!"

"Why? Because she dates boys and rides skateboards?"

"Because sh...e has a d...dozen piercings, does drugs and drinks a...alcohol. You g...guys are only f...fourteen, you shouldn't be d...doing things like that. You sh... shouldn't do drugs a...at all."

"Mum, she doesn't do drugs, I swear. And she drinks alcohol when she is with Barry and Cait... and only special occasions."

"I will l...let you spend more t...time with her b...but if I hear of one s....situation where sh...she has d...done anything e...even r...remotely against my r...rules, y...you are no longer a...allowed to talk to her, a...am I clear?"

"Well..." She laughed and I laughed back. I hated when she mocked my stuttering but I couldn't help but laugh when she did it in a humorous way. The dark sense of humour was definitely something she had picked up from Felicity. "Yes, mum. I will respect your wishes."

"Thank you." I watched her as she grabbed the skateboard and ran out the door. I wish I could control her. There were a lot of things I couldn't control, like what time Lena gets home. I waited while watching TV and eating ice-cream.

It was almost 7 pm and no sign of her. I grabbed my crutch, ready to walk out the door and go find Alura when Lena walked through the door holding Alura's hand.

"Kara! Hey, our little daughter here broke her board and also a window." I frowned at her. Felicity came running through the door.

"It was me! Miss Danvers, I did it." She looked at us.

"You m...must be Felicity," I shook her hand and tried to contain my stutter as much as possible.

"Two mums? That is so sick!" She sounded like a typical teen. I rolled my eyes and looked at Alura, who was hanging her head with guilt. I put my crutch down and knelt on one knee painfully, looking at Alura.

"So, do you both care to explain?" Lena had a considerable amount of anger in her voice. I don't know if it was her over-reacting or something that had happened at work but she was mad.

"It was all me. I was skating and lost balance, my board went through a window. Then Alura got angry because I wasn't letting her tell you so she threw her board at a wall and it snapped in half." Felicity was obviously covering for my daughter.

"Seeing as y...you are telling the... t...truth, " I could feel that it was just going to get worse, the aphasia wasn't backing down but I just kept fighting it. "I will l...let you guys o...off this time."

"Kara..." Lena sighed, knowing that I wasn't one to punish our daughter, I usually left it to Lena. I kind of had to leave it to Lena for the past nine years.

"Thank you, Miss Danvers!" Felicity ran out, pulling Alura with her. Lena tried to grab them but they were out the door in a split second, literally.

"Why did you let Alura have a speedster as a friend?"

"Because they c...can relate about their p...powers, kind of. Barry is like a b...brother to me, I th...thought it would be gr...great for her to be friends w...with his daughter."

"Still can't believe they named her after Felicity Smoak. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about her, you know?" She was referring to the Felicity that died in my arms, the Felicity who's last words were to press a certain button to save all of the universes. 'Press alt-shift'.

"Yeah." I felt like I needed a well-deserved nap. I slowly made my way to the couch and sat down on it, almost falling asleep right there.

"Kara, you never told me what the actual story is behind Felicity, like Barry and Cait's daughter."

"L...long story sh...short, th...they found h...her on the street. Sh...She needed a h...home and it wa...wasn't long after F...Felicity d...died that they realised she d...didn't have a n...name."

"How is she a speedster?"

"That is one o...of the r...reasons they t...took her in." I was getting really annoyed at my stuttering. Ever since I woke from the coma, I had Aphasia. Basically, this affects my ability to express spoken language. We didn't know why though. Alex thought it was a delayed side-effect of the bleeding in my brain just before the coma. Lena thought it was because of the coma and that it would go away soon. I knew that it was permanent, I knew it was getting worse too.

"You should get some rest. I haven't heard you talk this much in ages." She put her hand out so I would take it and follow her to bed. I did so willingly and she layed me down in bed. "Rest well, honey." I did.