four

//again, possibly triggering//

stanley felt his heart thumping as he shut the door behind him. he knew he wanted to kiss bill, but that didn't make him gay, right?

he made a mental note to ask richie about that one.

he made his way to his room to clean up, but all of his stuff was already put away neatly.

he picked up the book "god's of the morning: a birds eye view of a changing world" and set it on his desk.

he made his way from his room to the day room, sitting in his normal seat. he was early, so he started working on his drawing of a humming bird.

after a few minutes, the group started filing in. he searched for bill among the faces, but he was no where to be found. he started to feel upset. he was terrified that he did something wrong.

nobody seemed to notice bills absence, as everyone was lost in their own conversations.

"alright, welcome to highs and lows group! each of us will share our low of the day, the worst part, and our high, the best part. you are allowed to say you do not have a low, but you have to have a high." ms. kaitlyn spoke.

stan remembered the rules from the previous night, as he made the mistake of saying he didn't have a high. after being told he had to have one and thinking for a few minutes, he came up with his: the boy beside him. he knew he couldn't say that, so instead he went with the book his mother brought in for him.

"who would like to start?"

just then, bill walked in, flustered as ever. he took his seat beside stan, trying not to look at him. he knew it wouldn't work though, as a few seconds later stan felt his gaze on him, and he turned to give him a small smile. this made bill even more flustered, before he smiled back.

"can i start, ms. kaitlyn?"

"yes, of course. thank you for volunteering, stanley."

"my low of the day was.. realizing that bad things really do happen to good people. my high was- doing my laundry. yeah. i really had to get that done."

"well, at least you had a high." ms. caroline laughed.

stanley looked at the boy beside him, who's face had broken into a smile that made stanley melt, as he reminded himself that he, in fact, was not gay.

"bill, it's your turn." she spoke up again.

"yeah, my low was-" he paused. "actually, i didn't have a low." everyone clapped. "my high was.." he thought for a second. "just being here." and everyone clapped again.

the rest of the group went around, stating theirs.

none of them really caught stanley's attention, besides bills of course. he couldn't stop thinking about bill. he had only met him the day before, but he knew he was special. he had never felt this way before, about anyone, let alone a boy, but he loved it.

his thoughts were interrupted by the sound of ms. caroline's voice, telling them it was time for bed.

he followed the group out of the day room, taking any chance he could get to look at the beautiful boy beside him. he stayed beside him throughout the walk to their rooms, smiling at each other as they separated, making their way into the rooms across from each other.

once in their rooms, they both turned around to face each other from their doorways.

"goodnight, stan."