Chapter 4

Liam and I stumbled deeper into the forest. I grumbled each time a branch snagged my coat or scratched me hands, it was very very annoying. Liam stopped when we had reached a small clearing. I had never been this deep into the forest before, but we couldn't risk people learning of Liams powers. Or... my powers.

"Ok big shot, show me what you got!" I say.

Liam grinned nervously, as if in front of crowd. He held out his hand for a moment, it started to shake as if he were trembling. The morning dew on the grass slowly started coming towards him, pulsing and trembling in the air. I could see every individual bubble of floating water. It was spectacular. 

Suddenly Liam dropped his arm, the water which had been coming together when it grew near him had dropped to the ground with a splash. Liam was breathing heavily.

"What's wrong Liam?" I ask concerned.

"its just- just..." he breathed heavily, as if he had just done six laps of the high school track. "it seems like, whew. It seems like it takes energy to do this stuff. Like, my whole body needs to put in energy and willpower to make the water come."

"But you did that thing at your house super easily." I say

"That must be because it was super small, think about it. That was one wad of spit and I was just spinning it around in the air,  I was just lifting a the entire meadows dew from the grass and pulling it towards me a meter in the air. It's a big difference."

I thought about it and I realize he's probably right, it's not like he'd be able to do all this without relent. "Maybe let's start with something smaller then. Maybe focus on a small area of grass, or something that has water in it? You could try moving branches, I bet that would work." I start thinking on my feet, I felt like I was ten again. Trying to think of every possibility of every superhero power to see which was the best. 

"That sounds awesome, ok give me a second I have to try this."

"Ok, try that tree." I point to one of the trees outlying the meadow. Nothing special about it except the small branch the protruded into the haven of grass.

Liam stopped. And narrowed his eyes at it. He rose his hand to the branch. It was a thing, long branch almost like one you could use as a marsh mellow stick but just barely too small. With the small twig like branches coming out of it of course.

Nothing happened for a few seconds. Then slowly Liam clenched his fist, in reply the branches small twigs that grew from in started collapsing inwards. Like it was hugging itself. Liam lifted his hand slowly and the branch followed. He stopped and the branch sagged back to where it used to be. Lifeless once more.

"Holy crap Liam that was amazing." I said speechless.

He just grinned and walked up to the branch. I followed him. 

"You were right Finn, I can control them. What else can I do? This seems limitless!"

"But you'll need to practice it though, otherwise how else will you get better? I bet if you just keep using it you can get stronger, maybe even enough to lift the entire meadow. Or move an entire tree!"

Liam was ecstatic. He stopped smiling for a minute and sat down, I sat down next to him.

"Thanks Finn, for coming out here with me. I still dont know what im going to do. This is all so new and... are we the only ones?"

"I don't know Liam. I dont know."

"What should we do now? What powers are you going to get? Why is this happening? Why..."

He sighed and stopped there. 

I put my hand on his back, "dont worry man, Ill help you. Plus we're in this together, you're not the only one with powers."