Chapter 10

"I didn't know Mr. Hailkin was religious or anything." I told Liam, while taking a bite out of my sandwich. It was lunch break at school the next day, last night had been a blur, I remembered running home carrying Liam. He had woken up as I neared his house, which was helpful considering I wouldn't have to carry him through his window anymore.

Liam yawned, "yeah he went to church every Sunday with us, he took it pretty seriously."

I knew what he was thinking, that his parents would think of him the same way. Think he was a demon, and shun him. He was their son, but when it came to it, religion came first.

Of course I was afraid of the same thing, it's not that my parents were religious or anything- they weren't, but that they would think I was a mistake. That I wasn't their son anymore, it seemed sort of cliché but you never know. Although I was fairly sure they would still love me, it wasn't a risk I wasn't willing to take.

"At least we're getting to know the limits of your power, if you use to much you could knock yourself out." I tell him, trying to get his mind off of his parents.

"Yeah that's a good thing, when I use my magic, it takes effort. It's not like most people would think. I'm not waving my arms and it happens, it's almost like I'm doing it myself all at once. I can't really explain it, no doubt my explanation is inaccurate but to understand you need to do it yourself." He looked at me, trying to recall what happened last night. "When do you think you'll get your powers? I mean I know that you might not get them, but if you do, when? What are they going to be?"

I smiled in anticipation, I didn't want to get my hopes up, but who wouldn't want powers. Yeah it would complicate things, and I would need to hide them but the thought of being special was... was amazing. For the first time in my life I would be different from the rest of the crowd.

Of course that was just a dream. I mean, me? Special? Yeah right, the guy who thought that lawn mowers we're small cages full of animal who ate the grass. I had thought that until I was ten. "I don't know, we don't know anything really. I'm just deciding to roll with it. Whatever life throws at us, let's just catch it and throw it at someone we don't like and well be fine."

He snorted in laughter, "good idea, then Duncan would think twice about making fun of us."

"Yup." The bell rang signalling the end of lunch. "I'll see you after school, are we going to use the tools at the bunker today?"

"Yeah seems like a good idea, I have nothing much after school until sports come up again." I tell him, slinging my bag onto my shoulder, the rough edges of the straps digging into my shirt.

"Pretty much the same for me, anyways see ya."

He left down the hall to his class, leaving me to my thoughts. What was going on with us. I knew it wasn't right, nothing was right anymore. I felt like I was stuck in a pit there was no getting out of, that the secret would get out. Things could still go downhill, there was too much to lose.

What was the point in all this?

Were trying to survive, nurture our- Liam's talents before they grew unstable. Would they grow unstable? Hell if I knew, the only I knew is that if we didn't reveal ourselves and what we could do, someone else out there will.

Time was ticking, and there wasn't much left.

* * *

I followed Liam into the bunker, it was the early afternoon about half an hour after school and we were on our way to try and break our way into a pipe. We hadn't even bothered stopping by our houses, only to go by the forest to gather the tools we had dropped in the forest last night. I was worried that they had collected them afterwards, but apparently they had forgotten. Thank god they did, if they did everything last night would of been for nothing.