Chapter 16 - I'll Text You

“No way!” Damien shouted as he shoved a greasy fry unto his mouth. “I don’t believe it. You can’t do it.”

I smiled wickedly. “Oh yes I can.”

He shook his head, his eyes telling me to not dare. “Nope.”

It was 10 pm, I was with a person I wasn’t too close to, and I was in a 24-hour pizza parlour. Who says I don’t have a life?

After Damien practically hauled his motorcycle to the shop, we were now enjoying a big box of pizza, fries, and a bowl of pasta to ourselves. My mom would never approve, seeing that all she cares about are the toxins that need to be ejected in our body. Well, I ejected that philosophy as I took a forkful of spaghetti in my mouth. Wow, heaven is a place on Earth.

We were the only people in the run-down place. Luckily, Damien’s cute friend, James, was on shift tonight so we managed to snag free drinks.

“But thinking about it now, I feel just a tad bit curious.” He wiped a streak of spaghetti sauce on his cheek with a pink napkin. “Show me.”

“Well, let me feed your curiosity.” I said, putting the fork back on my almost empty plate. “Pun intended.”

 I feel like a food vacuum. I clucked my tongue for warm up. He grabbed a chunky piece of pizza and urged me to go on.

“Here it goes.” I poked my tongue out and started reaching for the tip of my nose. At first my tongue didn’t budge and only brushed my upper lip but I knew better.

 After endless, boring days in summer vacation, I managed to master the art of touching the tip of my nose with my tongue. I probably looked like a dweeb right then but I started going at it with intense determination and voila – I felt the friction between my tongue and the tip of my nose.

I quickly pulled my tongue back inside my mouth and looked at Damien. He looked as if he froze in the middle of eating the pizza. I laughed.

“That was,” He stuttered in a monotonous voice. He dropped the half-eaten pizza on his own plate. “Phenomenal.”

He started clapping in this excruciatingly slow and sarcastic way and I threw my napkin at him. “Shut up, you’re just jealous of my God-given talent.”

“I’m dying out of jealousy.” After he said that, he sipped some Coke from his can with a straw.

My phone beeped.

I looked at the sender. Magda.

Of course. Mom would probably be away and dad may have locked himself up in his office again.

Where r u? ur not out drunk and wasted r you? ur parents will worry

“Uh, I have to go.” I said.

On my way home. Not drunk nor wasted. Don’t wait up. Alli

 I placed the phone on the table. Magda sounded calm in her text but I can tell she was really worried. I always made trouble, but I never break the house rules. You can say I’m like a good girl but in a bad kind of way.

 “Don’t tell me you’re way past your bedtime?”’

“Sort of like that. I’m so sorry, but I really do need to go now.” I slid out of the booth. “Thanks for the treat and the time. See you around.”

He stood up as he decided to wear his backpack. “Wait, let me take you home.”

Oh no. I can’t let him see my house. Once he sees the huge gate, the massive garden, and the water fountain, it wouldn’t take him long to figure out that I was uh, gifted with the luxuries of life. People tend to get really intimidated by me and my family, which is the main reason why I don’t have that much friends.