Chapter 11 - Screaming Hairy Armadillo

Summer's POV

"I can't wait for the dance on Friday!" Autumn squealed as we walked down the hallway. It was Wednesday, so there were only two more days until the dance. The whole school had been chatting excitedly about our first dance. The sixth graders were especially excited, having never gone to a dance before. I, on the other hand, didn't care that much about the dance. I found dances boring and time consuming. The loud music and crazy people dancing just wasn't a good combination. I couldn't wait for Friday to be over.

"Has anyone asked you yet?" Autumn asked, interrupting me from my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh. No. Nobody's asked me yet," I responded. I was hoping that Tyler would ask me. My brothers would be fine with it, since they knew him well. It would save unnecessary drama, and just be better overall. But I did really want Zak to ask me also, so I could rub it in the Populars' faces.

"No one's asked me yet either. I don't want to be a loner at the dance," Autumn said. I nodded in agreement, not really knowing what else to say. I knew Autumn wanted Riley to ask her. She would always get nervous and giggly whenever Riley brought up the topic of dances. Her face would turn as red as her hair.

We continued walking along the hallway, until a crowd stopped us. They were all forming a circle around something. A girl turned around and looked at us. She whispered to her friends, and soon, the whole crowd was whispering and pointing. We made our way to the front of the group, and my jaw dropped when I saw what was there.

"Autumn Matthews, would you do me the pleasure of being my date to the Halloween dance?" Riley asked. He stood on a step ladder, and was holding a sign that said, "Dance?".

There was a silence among the crowd as they anxiously awaited Autumn's answer. Autumn took a deep breath, and stepped forward.

"Riley, someone already asked me," Autumn said in a quiet voice. The crowd gasped. Even I was in shock. Autumn told me that no one asked her.

Riley struggled for words, and looked like his heart was torn in half. "Au-Autumn, I-I d-don't know w-what to say."

Suddenly, Autumn was holding her stomach and doubled over. "Ha! You fell for it!" Autumn said, still laughing.

"B-but—" Riley stuttered.

"Riley Oakley, of course I'll go to the dance with you," Autumn said with a big grin. Riley returned the smile, but then it turned mischievous.

"I'll get you for that Autumn!" Riley bellowed. He ran over to her and tackled her to the ground. He pinned her arms to the ground, and they were nose-to-nose. They stared into each other's eyes, and then Riley scooped her up off the ground. They hugged, and the crowd went wild.

"Okay lovebirds," I said breaking them apart, "it's time for class." They broke apart, with tinted cheeks. Riley grabbed Autumn's hand, and we all walked to biology. I felt like a third wheel, but I was lovin' it.

We all took a seat together with Tyler and Ethan. Zak wasn't in class yet, so we had an empty seat next to us. Tyler didn't seem to like the idea of Zak hanging with us, but he just went along with it. What I really admire about Tyler is how he won't complain when things don't go his way. He was genuine and honest, and just generally a good guy.

A voice startled me from my thoughts. "Hey guys," Zak said.

"Hey," we responded, except for Tyler. He just did a nod of recognition. Zak sat down next to me, at the corner of the classroom. Tyler scowled, but kept quiet.