Chapter 29 - My Family

Summer's POV

"I'm pretty sure I'd realize if I met my parents," I sassed.

My mom got out her phone and after a quick hushed phone call, the doorbell rang.

"And there are your parents," my mom smiled before getting up to open the door.

Nothing could have prepared me when my mom opened the door and I saw Veronica, Robert, and Ethan Murphy standing outside our door.

For a while, I just stared.

I stared at Veronica. Ethan's mom. Robert's wife. Our neighbor. Definitely not my mom.

I stared at Robert. Ethan's dad. Veronica's husband. Our neighbor. Definitely not my dad.

And lastly, I stared at Ethan. Veronica's "son." Robert's "son". Our neighbor. My friend. And definitely not my brother.

"Um," Ethan started, "hi?" Ethan waved with a weak smile. I didn't know what to feel. Confusion. Hurt. Betrayal. Too many emotions were flowing through my body.

"No way," I breathed. "No way," I repeated louder, with more finality. "No way," I whispered, my voice shaking.

"Summer, we-" Veronica started holding a hand out.

"What!" I snapped. "What excuse is there now? I'm sick of being lied to. First I find out my parents are spies. Then I find out that they're not really my parents. Then, I find out that my neighbors are my actual parents, and one of my best friends is my brother."

"Actually," Ethan interrupted, "I'm not your brother. I'm a spy too and I'm just posing as they're son."

"Well that makes everything all right," I sneered sarcastically. "Now everything in the world is happy and all is well because you're not my brother. Phew! That was a relief. For a minute there, my life flashed before my eyes." I couldn't control my sarcastic remarks. Ethan looked slightly hurt that I snapped at him. I started pacing around the room, running my fingers through my hair.

"Well since I've already heard so much crap today, why don't you just continue your story and explain what the hell is going on here," I grunted, just wanting to have answers.

My brothers looked at me unsurely, as if I was a ticking time bomb, ready to explode.

Veronica, Robert, and Ethan, hesitantly sat on the couch and looked at my parents for reassurance. They nodded encouragingly and began to tell their tale.

"As your other parents have probably already told you, we're spies, and we had to give you up when you were born so that Volkan wouldn't kill you. We wanted to make sure that you had no idea that we were your parents. I don't know if you older ones remember or not, but whenever one of your siblings was born, we didn't let you into the delivery room. Even though I was the one giving birth to you, we wanted to make it seem like your other mom was the one giving birth. We wanted to make it seem like you were their children.

We were only planning on having two, maybe three children. But that obviously didn't work out. We really wanted a girl, and it took eight tries to get one. Once Summer was born, I got my tubes tied so I couldn't get pregnant again, and I was safe to go on missions again.