Chapter 12 - Soap Opera

Summer's POV

"Autumn! For the last time! I'm not wearing heels!" I said in exasperation. It was the night of the dance, Friday. The whole school, even the teachers, seemed to be distracted today. Autumn and I were getting ready at my house, and even though I told her a million times, she wouldn't listen to me when I told her that I refused to wear heels! Why would I want to wear something so uncomfortable that I couldn't even walk? If I couldn't even walk, who knows how I'd dance.

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?" Autumn begged. She had puppy dog eyes, but they wouldn't work this time. There's no way I'm wearing heels!

"No! You don't have to wear heels, so why should I?" I argued. Autumn was planning to wear some white, lace toms that matched her dress.

"Because the ones I have go perfect with your dress! You didn't even take a good look at them!" Autumn explained.

"I don't need to look at them to know I'll hate them. You promised me that I wouldn't have to if I wore a dress!" I complained to Autumn. My complaints were falling deaf on her ears. But if I have to wear heels, then I'm not going to the dance.

"Yeah, but," Autumn's voice trailed off. She was trying to find another reason why I should wear heels. "Okay fine, but at least wear my yellow converse. They'll look...eh, decent with your dress." What she really meant was that the converse matched, but she really preferred for me to wear heels. But I didn't care. As long as I didn't have to wear heels, I was fine.

"Deal," I agreed. She handed me her yellow, high-top converse. I personally thought that they would look awesome with my dress. Much better than some shoes that looked like a unicorn barfed on it.

Autumn and I changed into our dresses, admiring them in the process. I remembered when Bella, a little girl at the dress shop we went to, ran up to me and gave me a hug. Her smile made my day, and the fact that she thought I was a princess made me feel magical in my dress.

"Looking good," I complimented Autumn. She did some model poses, and then laughed as a thank you. I spun around to show off my dress, and Autumn told me how stunning I looked. She couldn't tell, but I was blushing. It had been a long time since I'd worn a dress.

"Shall we do our hair now?" Autumn asked.

"Yes we shall," I said, playing along.

I took out Autumn's curling iron, and curled my hair. Autumn had taught me how to curl my hair when we were 10, and I hadn't forgotten since. When I finished curling my hair, I sprayed some hair spray on it, praying that it would stay all night, and not turn frizzy.

Autumn decided to straighten her hair, even though it was already straight. She insisted that the straightener made her hair even straighter, and gave it a smooth finish. I couldn't tell the difference, but decided to keep quiet.

I took some hair from the crown of my head, and braided it into a fishtail in the back. Autumn did a half up-half down hairstyle with a bun. I have to admit, we looked great. The hairstyles complimented our features and dresses.

We both slipped into our shoes, and took one final look in the mirror. The mirror showed two girls: one with honey blonde hair, and another with flaming red hair. The girl with blondish hair had a yellow dress, and the girl with red hair had a lavender dress. The blonde girl wore yellow converse, and the ginger girl wore white toms with lace. One girl reflected summer, and the other one reflected autumn.

After gazing at our reflections, we smiled and hugged each other. This was the first dance of our eighth grade year. Next year, we would graduate, and move onto high school. We might develop new friendships, but we'll never be apart. Never.