2009: The Population Explosion

A/n: A sequel if you will to The Population Increase.

The bunks were full. The army could no longer accept new recruits. At least not now. Training was all that mattered. They had to start conquering soon, or all the preparations that had been made would have been wasted.

The training sessions were 1 hour each, with different watchdogs in each 'class'.

The commanding officers didn't just have to learn fighting skills and techniques, they also needed to learn what to do in an emergency situation, hence why Peepers was learning as well. Lieutenant Nerve was always talking about the things they learned afterwards. The two had quickly formed a close bond, and were more than happy to help each other out.

The friends had just walked out of the training room looking very exhausted indeed. As the next class filed in, their drill instructor waved goodbye.

The drill instructor, Jim, looked just as tired as the newly trained soldiers. Came with doing his job nonstop for 10 hours a day. Peepers and Nerve shared worried looks. It was quite clear to both of them that their friend needed a break.

Peepers paced the room, wondering what to do about the instructor. He eventually settled on letting him go on leave early. The Commander looked at the clock. Good. It was almost time for training. He would tell Jim then.

As Peepers grabbed his bag and made his way towards the door, he heard scuffling outside. He took a deep breath, and opened it. Before him were two of the cadets. Jim was struggling to keep the two apart, but glanced up when he saw Peepers approach. The Commander tapped his foot when the cadets paid no attention. When they still didn't notice, he cleared his throat. That did the trick. They stopped abruptly,  looked up slowly, then looked at each other, and finally scrambled to get up and salute. After a rather clumsy attempt to do so and a shaky, "Sir!" they looked very guilty as the Commander began his scolding.

"I hope there's a good explanation for this." He began calmly.
"Not really."
"Try. Now!!"
One of the cadets started, "Well,"
He stuttered slightly before realising he didn't know what to say, "We can't explain."

Peepers sighed before giving out their punishment.
"You're both on probation for 3 months."

The cadets gave a sad salute and replied, "Yes sir."

After they left, Jim looked towards the Commander.

"Jim, I wanted to tell you that you can take your leave early."
"Thanks sir, but I'm fine with waiting."
"No buts Jim. You need some rest."
"Okay sir, but who'll train the watchdogs?"
"They can take a few weeks break. So long as they are exercising."
Jim hesitated, but gave up. "Okay. I'll go. In fact, I'll pack after today's sessions. I'll meet you in the training room."

Peepers nodded and walked towards the training room. Jim would hopefully start taking care of himself.

A/n: I don't own Commander Peepers or Wander Over Yonder. I do own Lieutenant Nerve and Drill Sergeant Jim. Don't use my OCs without my permission.