Chapter Twenty: I choose you

Disclaimer: I don't own anything aside from the plot. Characters are created by the brilliant J.K Rowling. Harry Potter A/U Fanfiction. Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Draco was drinking his morning coffee when he received an unexpected visit from his mother; he wasn't surprised in the least because he knew that she will find a way to remind him about the impending dinner at the Manor in the evening. "Mother, what a pleasant surprise" he drawled.

"Have you read the Prophet?" Narcissa asked urgently.

Draco noticed his mother's worried expression; "No, why?"

Narcissa pulled a chair and sat down; "I think you should read it first" she replied.

"I don't have time to read the paper Mum, I'll be leaving in 10 minutes to pick up Hermione and apparate to work after. Just tell me what's written in the paper that dragged you all the way here."

"Rita Skeeter wrote an exclusive about Hermione and the Weasley boy"

Draco felt the coffee go down the wrong pipe, making him sputter and cough.

Narcissa cringed and handed her son a napkin; "Here you go"

Draco accepted the napkin and wiped his lips; "W---what?"

"The evil wrench didn't write much about Hermione, it was mainly about the boy and his philandering ways" Narcissa said. She then paused and wrinkled her nose; "Looks like he impregnated Irina's daughter---Millicent, if I'm not mistaken."

"It was on the paper?" Draco asked.

Narcissa nodded; "It was" she replied. "That's actually the reason why I came here, your Father and I would like to let you know that we will understand if Hermione does not want to come over for dinner."

"I would have to ask her" Draco replied. He then stood up and placed the napkin on top of the table; "I better go ahead and check on her" he said.

Narcissa also stood up from her perch; "Go on right ahead, let me know what you two decide, okay?"

"I will" Draco replied. He then leaned forward and planted a kiss on his mother's cheeks; "Goodbye Mum" he said.

oOo

"Hermione! Where are you?" Harry called out loudly.

"Kitchen!"

Harry made his way towards the kitchen and saw his best friend reading the Prophet; he mentally cursed and cautiously approached the brunette. "Err----"

Hermione lowered her paper and stared at Harry with a raised brow; "I know why your here at this hour Harry" she said dryly.

Harry adjusted his glasses and studied Hermione's face; "How are you feeling?"

Hermione folded the paper and placed it beside her plate; she grabbed her morning tea and swivelled her chair towards her best friend's direction. "Would you believe me if I tell you that I'm alright?"

"It depends actually" Harry said. He then walked towards the breakfast bar and braised his hands on the counter; "If you're telling the truth or not."

Hermione cracked a smile; "You've been my best friend for more than a decade, I'm quite sure you can tell my fibs from my truths" she challenged before taking a sip of her drink.

Harry cocked his head to the side and stared at Hermione intently; after a moment, a look of relief crossed his face. "Damn, I was worried for nothing"