Paladin Danse X Sole Survivor (Reader)

Some spoilers ahead if you haven't played with the Brotherhood of Steel.

You hurried to Listening Post Bravo after taking to Scribe Haylen. You've got the worst news of your life, not only your best friend that you fought battles with is a synth but Elder Maxson wants him dead by you...

You stood in front of the door, your heart swelling in your chest, and you don't want to do this. You just want to turn away heading back to Prydwen, but you pushed it all aside, hurrying to the elevator. You pushed a button the doors open you enter watching the door close in front of you running your hands through your hair. The doors suddenly opened, pulling you out of your thoughts. You can see Danse through a crack on the wall. You step out of the elevator, making your way to him.

Danse looked at you, not surprised to be seeing you, "I'm not surprised Maxson sent you. He never likes to do the dirty work himself."

"Danse..." You could feel your heartbreak for the Paladin.

He looked at you with no expression on his face, but you can see the sadness in his eyes, "I'm warning you if you leave here without following your orders... I'll be forced to carry them out. Is that what you want?"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He sighs, "Because I didn't know."

"How could you not know?"

"I just found out when Quinlan got that list decoded, I thought Synths were the enemy. I never expected to hear that I was one of them. If it wasn't for Haylen, we wouldn't be having this conversation." He said, glancing at the gun you're holding, "So what are your orders? Does Maxson even want me alive?"

You glance at the gun too, then drop it; you knew you could never carry out such orders, and even though you keep lying to yourself, you love Danse.

"There has to be a way out." You pleaded.

"Don't be ridiculous." Danse scuffed then looked at the gun on the ground, "Look I'm not blind to the fact that this must be difficult for you. I wish Maxson had sent someone else."

You got angry, "Why? So they can," You brought your hand up mimicking a gun then pretended to shot at Danse, "Kill you just like that? Dammit, Danse, you're still human to me." You drop your hand.

"That doesn't mean a thing (Y/N), I'm a synth which means I must be destroyed, " He grabbed both of your hands that act caught you off guard, "If you disobey orders you're not only betraying Maxson, you're disobeying the Brotherhood of Steel and everything it stands for."

You snatched your hands away, "Screw the Brotherhood!"

Danse was surprised by your outburst he knew you were having a hard time with following orders simply because you guys are really good friends, and if the situation was reversed, he couldn't do it either.

"Look (Y/N), I need to be the example, not the exception."

Tears threatened your eyes, "Danse, you have emotions. I can see them whenever we go into battle.." You trailed off.

Danse wanted to know what else you had to say, but he still wanted you to do your orders, "I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I've made my decision."

He bent down, picking up the gun you toss and handing it to you. You grabbed it from his hand; he was already prepared as he stared at you. You toss the gun behind you. You both heard it hit the ground.

Danse couldn't believe your actions, "I can't believe you'd risk your life to keep me alive.... Why?"

Your heart started beating faster as your breath quickens, "Because Danse, I love you."