1

It's your first day at Broadchurch Station. You've just been promoted to DS so you've been moved down to Broadchurch. Your slightly nervous but optimistic for the job.

You show your ID at the reception desk and explain that it's your first day. Somebody takes you up to the offices.

"I'll take you to your boss. He can show you round and introduce you to everybody." He explains as he knocks on an office door.

"Come in." Somebody answers from the other side of the door. The receptionist opens the door and steps inside. The guy behind the desk has dark hair and a dark beard. He's wearing glasses as he stares at the computer screen. He's slightly scruffy but attractive too. You shake your head slightly.

You can't have a crush on your new boss on the first day

"This is your new DS, (Y/F/N) (Y/L/N) She's only just been promoted so you may need to show her the ropes. She needs showing round and introducing to everyone." He smiles to my new boss.

"Yeah yeah. I know what I've got to do. I've been here longer than you." He groans. He has a thick scottish accent. The receptionist rolls his eyes, leaving you there in the doorway. He looks up from his computer again and sighs. "Come in. Come sit down."

You step in and close the door behind you. You sit down on the seat opposite his desk and watch him.

"I'm DI Alec Hardy. I'll be your boss here. So... you were promoted on the condition that you moved here." He asks as he takes off his glasses.

"Yeah. I've been in the force for 8 years now and this is where I was hoping to get."

"Okay." He nods. "Ill quickly show you round and show you to a few colleagues." He shows you where your computer is, the different interview rooms, the meeting room, the toilets and the kitchen. He takes you back to the office.

Ellie Miller was walking back to her computer which was next to yours.

"This is Ellie Miller. She's been here much longer than myself. She's also a DS so any questions regarding your role would be better answered by her. She is also my two IC. Can I leave her with you, Miller?"

She nods so he leaves you at your desk and you sit down at the computer beside Ellie.

"I'm (Y/F/N) (Y/L/N)." You smile softly.

"Okay. How are you finding this so far?" She smiles back.

"It's not too bad. Not too sure what I think of Alec though." You mumble.

"Oh don't let him hear you call him Alec. He really doesn't like it. He calls everyone by their last name."

"Oh okay."

"But I'm sure he'll be fine with you. He's not too stressed at the moment so he hasn't got a bad impression of you."

"Oh. What, he got a bad impression of you?" You frown. She chuckles and nodded.

"Yeah. I had just found out that he'd taken my job and then we had a murder case to deal with. He's warmed to me though." She shrugs.

"Right." You nod. "What are we doing here?" You point to her computer screen.

"Oh I had a piece of paper work to do. Other than that there's nothing. No crime so no work." She grins.

"Oh nice." You chuckle. You look over to Alec's office and see that his door is open. He is sat in his chair looking at his computer screen. He actually looks quite intense.

"Oh yeah. He doesn't smile a lot either. I've seen him smile... once, maybe twice but it's highly unlikely." You turn back to Ellie.

"Yeah he seemed annoyed by my arrival earlier."

"Oh don't worry. He's annoyed about everything." She shrugs. "If he smiles at you then you're instantly earned it. You have earned that smiled so you are a winner." Ellie chuckles. You laugh slightly and look back over at him.

He notices that your watching him and he looks up from his screen. You hesitate before looking away and blush instantly.

"Are you blushing?" Ellie laughs.

"No. No." You answer quickly.

"Aw, does little (Y/N) have a crush on Alec?" Ellie smiled widely. You feel yourself blush more.

"Maybe! I don't know..." You shrug defensively. She looks over your shoulder to his office.

"He's still looking. He knows something happening." She smiles.

"Oh god." You chuckle as you turn back to your computer. You can't help but look over at his office. He's still watching you and you make eye contact straight away. You smile softly and nervously. He smiles back and looks down at his paper work - still smiling. You turn back to Ellie. "He just smiled back to me!"

"I think he feels the same way." She chuckles.

"How do I bring it up though? Like, it's not quite something I can drop into a conversation in his office."

"You don't bring it up. You just wait. He's the type of person that will make things clear so if he does feel it, he'll tell you soon."

You nod and look back at your computer.

Surely if he is so focused on work then why would he promote a workplace relationship?

Its just gotten to eleven that morning and you have just finished your cup of tea. You go to make new one so you make your way to the kitchen. As you walk past his office, Alec calls for you.

"(Y/L/N)?" You stop walking and step back to the door. "Can you come in for a second?"

"Of course, sir." You step into his office.

"Close the door, please. Sit down too." You close the door behind you and sit down opposite him.

"Is everything okay?" You ask nervously thinking about what Ellie said earlier.

He'll make things clear.

"Of course. Um... I was just wondering, do you wanna come and get lunch with me? I wanna get to know you a little seeing as we'll be working together." You smile slightly thinking of what Ellie had said earlier.

"Yeah sure. I'm up for that. When are you wanting to leave?"

"I'm ready now but I can wait until you're ready." He smiles widely.