4

"I don't think you should be on the case, (Y/N)." He sighs as he sits back from you. "You're too close to it. I mean... you're more in the position to be informed, not informing."

"I want to help. When she's found I want to be there. I can't do that if I'm not part of the search team." You mumble.

"You can't. They won't allow it at the station. We've had a similar problem in the past with suspects and officers. We can't risk it again because last time it is what made the court case fall through."

You sigh and run your hand through your hair.

"She must be so scared." You start crying. He hugs you again and you eventually calm down.

"Maybe you should talk to Steven. He probably feels exactly the same way." He sighs.

"Yeah. I can't avoid him." You say as you get out of the car. You knock on the door and he answers it. "Steve..."

"(Y/N)..." He sighs from the doorway. "I'm sorry. I let you down. I said I'd look after her and things would be better for her if she was with me."

"It's okay. It's not your fault." You step forward and hug him. "The team I work with will find her."

He nods.

"Do you wanna come in for a cup of tea? Your friend can come in too." You nod and motion for Alec to come inside. You walk inside and sit down. He brings cups of tea for everyone and sits down.

"Have you got any recent pictures of her?" You ask. He gets up and takes a photo from the table and passes it to you.

She looked just as beautiful as she always had.

Her curly hair in a little pony tail on the top of her head. Her blue eyes and little freckly nose.

You sigh softly and stare at the photo.

"Can I keep this? I don't have many photos." He nods and you keep looking down at the photo. Alec begins asking questions about her disappearance but you find it impossible to concentrate.

Eventually, Alec catches your attention.

"We're just about finished here. We better be off." Alec sighs.

"Yeah thank you. (Y/N)? I've still got your number. Stay in touch because I wanna be able to support you through this."

You nod and follow Alec. You both get into the car and sigh. You start crying so he bundles you up in a hug to calm you down. He hugs you tightly and kisses your head.

"I'll find her. I promise, (Y/N)." He mumbles against your head. You nod and he lets go of you. "Come on. Let's get to the station and update Miller." He starts driving and holds your hand.

He parks outside the station and you go in but not holding hands. You get upstairs and Ellie comes over.

"What information did you get from the family?" She smiles.

"Hold on, Miller. (Y/N), you can just go and sit in my office. I'll be in there in a bit." You nod and wonder into his office and sit opposite where he usually sits.

You watch him out the window and he's talking to Ellie, obviously explaining the situation to her.

After a few minutes, he comes into the office, closes the door and the blinds. He sits down beside you and wraps an arm around you. You relax and rest your head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N). This must be horrible for you. I can't imagine what I would do if Daisy went missing."

"What, do you have a daughter?" You look up at him and he nods.

"Yeah. She's 15 but she lives with her mum. We talk every now and then but her mum doesn't let me see her."

"Even after everything you did for her?" You frown and he nods again. "Oh, Alec." You turn and hug him. He sighs and hugs you back.

You keep hugging each other. You start to feel relaxed in his arms.

"I might go home. There's no point in me being here if I'm not in the case." You mumble.

"Okay. I'll drive you home." He smiles softly down to you. You both stand up and leave the office. You get into his car and he drives you home.

He comes upstairs to make sure you get in.

"I'll come over as soon as I've finished." He sighs and he tucks a piece of your hair behind your ear.

"Please don't go. I don't wanna be by myself." You sigh.

"I need to start the investigation." He replies. "I could send Miller round to keep you company because she volunteered to be the supporting officer on the case. You know, for the paperwork."

"Okay. It might help." You shrug.

"I'll call her now and then I'll go back to the station when she gets here." He found his phone and hugged you as he found his phone.

He kept holding you tightly as he called Miller. He speaks to her then ends the call.

"She's on her way." He sighs. "Come on. Let's go sit down." He takes you to the sofa and sits down. You sit beside him and wrap your arms around his waist. He softly strokes your hair and you eventually fall asleep.

- A . H -

She fell asleep on me so I watched over her. She looked so beautiful and peaceful as she slept. I kept stroking her hair until I heard the buzzer for her apartment.

I lifted her off of me and onto the sofa so she was comfortable. I answered the door and it was Miller so I let her in.

"Alright, sir?" She smiled softly as she came inside.

"Shh. She's just fallen asleep." I whispered. I motion for her to follow me into the living room. "I'll wake her up to let her know that I'm going. Why don't you put the kettle on? Kitchen's that way." I pointed to the door.

She nodded and went into the kitchen. I crouched down beside the sofa and started waking her up.