3

You step back from him and blush a lot.

"Why me?" You mumble.

"Why not you? There's nothing wrong about you. You're perfect." He smiles and strokes your cheek. "The real question is why me?"

"I guess I'm a sucker from scruffy Scots." You smile widely.

"Scruffy?" He chuckles.

"Mainly the Scottish part. If you've got a Scottish accent you're gonna be in with a chance. But the scruffiness seems to make you more attractive."

"More? So you already-" He starts asking but you cut him off.

"Yes. I already found you attractive." You roll your eyes playfully and kiss him again. "You're a great kisser."

"So are you." He replies as he kisses you again and slightly pushes you against the fridge. He starts kissing you passionately. He cups your face with both hands and you tangle your fingers in his hair. "Which way to your room?"

You stop kissing him and move back slightly.

"We've known each other for a few hours, don't you think we are moving a little fast?" You mumble.

"Oh. Yeah. Of course." He nods and steps back from you.

"Sorry. I mean... I like it but I don't wanna move too fast. The last time I did that it didn't turn out well." You shrug.

"Okay. You don't need to be sorry, it's my fault." He sighs as he starts getting his stuff together. "I'm going back to the station. You can have the afternoon off."

"No, wait. Sir?"

"You don't need to call me sir outside of work." He sighs and you nod slightly. "Anyway what's up?"

"Don't go. Please? Please stay and we can just take it slower." You ask. He smiles and puts his jacket back onto the hook and walks back over to you.

"Like what then?" He asks.

"I'm not sure. It kind of depends on how long we have." You shrug.

"I put Miller in charge. We have as long as we need or want." He smiles softly.

"We could watch a movie. Get some snacks, find a good DVD..." You suggest.

"Sure. Have you got the Lion King? That's my all time favourite movie." He smiles.

"Of course I do. How does popcorn sound?" He nods so you put it into the microwave as you find the DVD.

The popcorn finished in the microwave so you take it out, put it in a bowl and take Alec through to your bedroom with the DVD in one hand and a bowl of popcorn in the other. 

"This is the only DVD player I have so we have to watch it in here." You smile as you climb onto the bed. He sits beside you as you start the movie.

After a few minutes he feels more comfortable and cuddles closer to you. You're led on your back, sat up slightly so you can watch the movie. He's led on his side with his arms around your waist.

After about half an hour you look over to him and see that he's fallen asleep with you in his arms. You smile softly and kiss him delicately. He smiles in his sleep and holds you tighter. You turn off the TV and turn onto your side so you're stacked like spoons. He automatically holds you tightly again.

He nuzzles into the crook of your neck and you feel him relax. You turn over your shoulder and kiss his head. You relax in his arms feeling completely comfortable. You fall asleep.

A coupe of hours later, you are woken by a phone ringing. It turns out that it is Alec's phone. You wake him so he can answer it.

He answers his phone but he keeps holding you in his arms.

"Yeah? What it is it? How old? Okay, send me the family's names and address. I'll take (Y/L/N) with me." He sighs as he lets go of you and sits up. "Okay bye"

"What's happened?" You frown as you sit up.

"A young girl was kidnapped on the way to school this morning. The school called home asking where she was and the family thought she was at school. CCTV was checked and she was snatched on the way to school." He sighs. "Why does everything need to be ruined by work..." He whines as he starts getting up.

"It's not ruined. You can come round after work tonight." You sigh as you get up and get your shoes on. He smiles softly and kisses you.

"Okay. I'll make it up to you." He kisses you again.

"You don't need to. It's not your fault." You shrug as he wraps his arms around your waist. You look up to him and smile. He kisses you again.

"Come on, miss." He smiles as he lets go of you.

He steps back and follows you out of your apartment. You get into your car and drive to the address that the station had sent. You park outside and he sighs.

"Right. Have you ever informed a family of something like this?" You shake your head. "We introduce ourselves and then they highest ranking officer informs them. That's me. Then we reassure them that we will do all we can to solve the issue."

"Okay." You nod.

"It'll be fine. Oh, and we need to keep us a secret. We can't have gossip at the station so if anyone asks you anything deny it. Especially Miller, I know what she's like."

"Yeah, okay. What exactly are we keeping a secret though?" You mumble.

"I don't know. It depends. What do you want to class us as?" He shrugs and turns to you.

"I don't know. Like I said earlier we've not known each other that long." You explain.

"I know. Let's just see how it goes." He smiles. You nod in reply. "Come on, then."

You both get out of the car and you follow him to the front door. He knocks the door and a few moments later a guy in his mid-thirties answers the door. You recognise him straightaway.

It's your ex.

"Hi. You must be Steven Campbell?" Alec asks. The guy nods. "I'm Detective Inspector Alec Hardy, this is my colleague Detective Sergeant (Y/F/N) (Y/L/N). We've been informed that your daughter was kidnapped this morning."

You lose focus and stare at the floor.

"(Y/L/N)?" Alec catches your attention and you look up at Steve, your ex. He recognises you.

"I can't do this." You choke out as you turn and get back in the car. Alec rushes after you and sits beside you.

"What's going on?" He frowns.

"He's my ex. He cheated on me and fought for full custody. He moved away with our daughter and obviously moved here. I didn't know that and now he's back in my life." You explain as you rest you head in your hands.

"What? You have a daughter?" He asks.

"Yeah. I do. Well... she's been kidnapped." You sob. He pulls you into a hug and holds you close to him. You try and stop crying as he rubs your back.

"It's okay. It's alright to cry." He sighs. "I'm so sorry. I'm gonna find her for you. I promise."

A/N Steve Campbell played by Martin Compston