A Quiet Departure

Mechanical whines broke the silence in a luxurious hospital room. Various monitors flashed their information unerringly, telling a grim tale of a lost battle.

Several people surrounded the hospital cot. Each held a grievous expression. A stately matron was openly weeping by the bed, holding on tightly to a pale hand. A distinguished gentleman tried and failed to compose himself, slowly sinking into a chair next to hers, succumbing to his sorrows. Soon, numerous sounds of crying broke.

Medical personnel hovered by, duty-bound to continue with the appropriate procedures but yet unwilling to intrude.

Unnoticed, a man slowly walked away, his handsome face absolutely ravaged by grief and untold regrets. He had travelled with great haste and still came too late.

***

The funeral service was held despite the drizzling weather.

He watched from afar as the coffin was lowered, unwilling to force an intrusion to the ceremony. His personal aide adjusted his grip on the umbrella while taking furtive glances.

'This man is such a complex person', Ah Cheng sighed inwardly. 'Coming so early but content to simply observe from so far away!'

Silently, tears fell unnoticed down his face, as the significance of the occasion crashed into his thoughts.

'That person is gone, now!'

'I will never see that face again!'

'I never confessed truthfully of my feelings!'

'Did that person ever knew the strength of my affections?'

'We never said goodbye!'

He staggered, knees weakened by his emotions. But he never stepped away, despite Ah Cheng's well-intentioned urgings. Keeping watch until the last of the mourners left, holding on to Ah Cheng as his crutch.

Slowly, he made his way to the grave. Reading the words lovingly chosen to accompany the beloved departed for eternity.

Ah Cheng stood back and turn away, giving a semblance of privacy, as tears turn to sobs as he finally broke.

***

.
.
.

There's a picture frame on Team Leader He's desk. But instead of a photograph, it held a few dried blossoms and an old film theater ticket, faded from age. Most people found it romantic. Greatly adding to the mysterious air surrounding the kind and soft-spoken man.

Only Ah Cheng knew the flowers came from a mourning bouquet from that one rainy day...

.
.
.

There's was countless of well meaning matchmaking attempts foisted upon Senior He. And he would endure it all with grace and tact, only to let down the other party with a gentleness that ensures no hurt feelings, later on.

It would send various friends and acquaintances fretting that there won't be a Mrs.He in the future.

.
.
.

Chief He is well known for his charming and comforting smiles.

But sometimes, when he thinks there's no one around, you could see a deep sorrow in his expression.

.
.
.

One of the younger assistant jokingly mentioned, as the impromptu meeting was concluding, that she was nearly sent on a wild goose chase due to the 'scientific level' of scribbling in the memo sent from Senior Chief He. Long admired for his beautiful penmanship, Senior Chief He blushed adorably at the teasings and treated them all to a late night dinner as an apology.

But the scribbles deteriorated even further afterwards.

.
.
.

'Lately, Hua Da-ge had been taking painkillers and headache relievers as if the pills were peanuts,' Ah Cheng noted.

But there's simply no time for him to send Hua Da-ge to go for an in depth medical consultations, not with the state of his schedules and appointments.

Hua Da-ge laughingly commented that he was too busy to even think about falling ill, even as Ah Cheng voiced his concerns over the matter.

.
.
.

"Did you hear the news?!? Charming Boss He collapsed!!!"

.
.
.

***

•~¤*¤~•
Here lies a Beautiful Soul
Gone Too Soon

Beloved Brother, Friend

He Chang Hua

'Ancelin'

May 8th XXXX
~
October 16th XXXX

~*~
~His life a beautiful memory~
~His absence a silent grief~
~*~

'Good bye, Hua Da-ge! I pray that you can finally find peace. Hope you won't mind your inscriptions, ah! Because, after all this time together, I sincerely think of you as my own brother. I know you won't mind this particular spot for your final rest', Ah Cheng sighed to himself.

It took some delicate maneuvering and a lot of quick thinking bluffing, but he managed to coax a specific location from the cemetery management and also that particular family.

Hua Da-ge is finally able to be with his most loved person. Side by side in death, if not life. Glancing at the neighbouring tomb, he hoped the departed souls could find each other, no matter where they might be.

Remembering that rainy day a few years ago, he had no doubts about the correctness of his decision.

Walking slowly away, he mused over the remarkable man he just laid to rest. Hua Da-ge would've never guessed just how much he affected the ones he left behind. Always going through life quietly and politely, he never understood just how beloved he really was.