Loneliness of Pinnacles

Several things happened at once, breaking the bubble that had enveloped the 18th Prince and An Jing Yu, loss in each other's eyes.

An Jing Xuan, Xu Yù Jīn, and the Marquis of Ying, had each came forward during the fever pitch climax of their dance, and leapt into action at the earliest opportunity.

With his Court grace at the forefront, An Jing Xuan sank into a respectful bow in front of the royal table, "An Family's junior have shown an unmannerly action, this subject humbly asks for royal mercy to turn aside from such a laughable sight."

With a smile still seven parts lingering on, the Royal One merely waved away the concerns and gestures to his son-in-law to abstained from the bowing. Mirth danced in his eyes.

The Most High One then handed a jade pendant, taken from his own belt, to the ever attentive Sui Gonggong as he intoned, "Reward for the young gentleman, a good showing."

An Jing Xuan politely received the token in place of his intoxicated brother.

Zhào Jùn Huá was too busy helping the bundle of drunken mess in his arms steadying on uncooperative legs to respond at such a huge indication of royal favour.

But Consort Li, seated by the Dragon's side, sharply inhaled. Her anger erupted. She, who had spent so much time by his side more than anyone else, knew how greatly that particular ornament was treasured by the emperor. All her jealous suspicious solidified in that very moment.

That little exchange went almost unnoticed, as the rest of the hall was too busy discussing the performance they had just witnessed.

Meanwhile, hissing similarly to a particularly belligerent kettle, Xu Yù Jīn executed a clever maneuver and swept his cousin away. Leaving the 18th Prince clutching at empty air. Zhào Jùn Huá was completely nonplussed by the blatant disregard of his Imperial status and could only observe as his beautiful stranger was expertly whisked away.

In a flurry of politeness and exquisite Court manners, An Jing Yu was bundled off as the An family retired en masse for the evening.

The Marquis of Ying, seizing his chance, cleverly manipulated the attention of almost everyone with the fact that as the dance partner of Gentleman Ruì Héng, Róng qinwang was responsible for the next challenge. With affable banter, he went on to hook several people into the hubbub and cheerfully stoked the situation further, cleanly covering the An family's exit.

Suddenly thrust as the center of attention from the entire banquet, he was powerless to do nothing else but continue the game.

Randomly searching for a familiar face, he threw aim towards his blatantly lovesick younger brother, the son of Consort Shu, 21st Prince Quàn. Newly gifted with a residence and rank of qinwang, due to his upcoming wedding to girl he was forlornly mooning over.

Caught unawares as he waved a small goodbye to his departing betrothed, Zhào Jùn Jié was out of ideas and readily acquiesced to the penalty.

The night continues on.

But the rest of the assemblage had lost interest in the wine game, petering out in a desultory manner, as more and more people were interested in discussing the performance they just had witnessed.

Some, no doubt made daring by the wine in their blood, even made flattering comparison between the dance and the one displayed by Consort Li.

Technical aspects and artistry were dissected, part by part, with many joining in with their own contribution. The Imperial Arts bureau, ever sensitive to potential new trends, noticed how much His Imperial Majesty had enjoyed the show. They quickly gathered together those seasoned old hands and young talents in their department to possibly recreate the choreography notes as soon as possible, while their memory remained fresh.