Royal Welcoming Banquet

After days of planning, the An Family's cavalcade sets off to join this year's Spring Hunt.

Carriages and wagons, with the word 'An' carved or painted on their walls, followed one after another. Carrying people, foodstuffs, tents and other necessities required for a jaunt fortnight long.

Excited chatter between the various wagons and carriages lend a happy air to the bustling progression.

Leading the way was a family sized carriage in the Imperial style with a royal 'Yong Le' emblem. After much discussion between the various branches, this pair of husband and wife was chosen as chaperone for their younger siblings. The princess reluctantly agreed to part with her children. Leaving them in the care of her mother-in-law An Da Furen, for the duration of her absence.

Following behind was another luxurious piece of craftsmanship, with the 'An' plaque swinging from the carriage's motions. Inside were four of the An siblings selected to attend this year's invitation. The 4th and the 5th Young Master as well as the 6th and 7th Miss.

It was well pass noon and a considerable distance from home, before three naughty stowaways was discovered within the sumptuous carriage's  interior.

7th Miss Wei Lán, driven to distraction by their mischief, had lost her temper and ejected the An triplets from their company, forcing the trio to ride with their 2nd Brother and his royal wife.

And the 3 day journey to the Royal Hunting Grounds continues so. With the three boys vacillating between the two carriages, depending on their mood and behaviour.

***

21st Prince of Quàn, Zhào Jùn Jié, had rode out to the pathway entrance to the Royal Hunting Grounds as soon as he received word of the An convoy's arrival.

His face brightened as he caught sight of his Imperial Sister's sigil. Hurrying over, he overheard the polite conversation between the taijian tasked with welcoming various dignitaries and the An steward, the nominal head of the caravan. He was presenting the Imperial invitation for inspection, as it serves to be the required credentials for entry to the Royal Event.

Ignoring the bobbing bodies and their deferential salutes, he nudged his mount towards the lavish carriage of his Imperial sister.

The silk panel was pushed aside as the Yong Le fùmă curiously poked his head out. His bright grin pulled an answering smile from the 21st Prince.

"Greetings, Quàn qinwang!"

"Greeting Brother-in-law, greeting Imperial Sister!"

From the opened side window, his Imperial sister waved her hellos, with an open smile. Married life agreed with her, the formerly cold and aloof Yong Le Princess was now much more warm and welcoming.

Suddenly three other heads poked out from around his brother-in-law, one after another.

"Greetings, wangye!" They chorus.

Zhào Jùn Jié laughed at these boys. Having them around is always such fun!

"6th Sister is behind us, that way!" said one of them pointed, cheekily. Fearlessly teasing him.

With a smile, he had his horse walk to the carriage following behind. The doorway cover was tied aside and the dimpled smile of his fiancee greeted him.

"Greetings, Quàn wangye," said 6th Miss Wei Xún in her sweet voice. 

21st Prince Quàn was rendered tongue-tied and bashful after not seeing her for a while. The prince merely nodded in exchange as the heat on his cheeks informed of the heavy blush he was sporting.