Deep Water Runs Fierce

In the Imperial Capital, the oncoming Royal Spring Hunt became the main topic of discussion as well as gossip. A sense of heavy expectancy hovered over the city.

Many establishments saw a brisk upswing of commerce as a result. New fashions and fresh trends surge foward as the world made its seasonal shift.

This yearly event, previously held as a way to break the monotony and ennui of Royal Court, slowly evolved into a highly anticipated occasion on its own. Where elite youths of prestigious backgrounds vie in gallantry, valiance, and luminosity, exhibiting their brilliance in the eyes of the Imperial Family and other noble personages.

That is not to say that the young ladies are left out. 'Tis well known that this fortnight long excursion is an unofficial precursor to the Imperial Selection. Many that yearned of shedding their sparrow's feathers for a distinguished plumage, dreamed that this event is their golden ticket.

A furious air of productivity spread over the various households as those fruits of the inner chamber honed their craft in the strive for excellence in whatever way that best showcase their charms and positive attributes.

All for a chance to an outstanding reputation in the coming future.

Those of the second and third tier of society, bereft of the opportunities allocated to their superiors, held their own corresponding celebrations that imitate the royal affair. And in some cases, the lavishness could almost compete with the original phenomenon.

Almost all aspects of community across the nation, in some way or form, encountered effects of this annual marvel.

In a particular part of the city, a certain JiāYáo Restaurant are also greatly affected by this occurance, doing a brisk business at an unrelenting pace. This glamorous dining establishment are almost always full of people, but the current rate of customers is at an unprecedented degree! Visitors from far and near, taking opportunity of their trip to the Capital, fulfilling the Imperial invitation.

This resulted in the managers themselves having to face honoured guests and carefully placated them due to the overwhelming lack of space. This perilous situation brings a wash of sweat drenching these managers' back as they tried to cope with turning away noble personages. Such a difficult place to be, stuck between those who couldn't be offended and those who couldn't be persuaded, ah!

***

JiāYáo Restaurant was previously a part of the An Family's 5th Madame's dowry, given by her maiden family as a means of small income after marriage. The previous Marquise of Ying, the Grand Princess An Ping, Zhao Gao Yang, loved her child dearly, and worried about her life after leaving the inner courtyards of the Ying Hóu Fu.

She initially had opposed her daughter's choice of husband, the widower scholar of the An family. Vehemently against the idea of her young daughter being made into a step-mother the instant she entered the house. But the honourable lady eventually relented in favour of the match after witnessing honest affection between the couple and sincere, respectful filial piety from her daughter's future step-son.

After the death of 5th Household's Madame, Xu Bì Yù, the business was held in trust by 3rd Household's Madame, by common agreement between the An family and Ying Hóu Fu's people. She relinquished the asset to it's rightful owner on An Jing Yu's 10th birthday, much to the amazement of those in the know over this matter. But consequent aftereffect proved her right.

JiāYáo Restaurant underwent a massive transformation after this event.

***

The management, on one day, were suddenly pelted with numerous commands that turned their world upside-down. All carrying a stamp of two words, 'Rui Heng'.