Beloved Children

Spring have arrived, and with the season, gilded requests by the dozens. Inviting the An young masters and misses to various banquets and gatherings.

With the An family being a prestigious clan, many were keen to nuture good relations in the hopes of future benefits and advantages.

But not all were blessed with such good fortune. Any overtures were monitored and evaluated before those of the surnamed An could accept their kind offers.

The stewards and advisors to the family jealously guarded their charges. And rightly so. The An Family, regardless of whether the main linage or the side branches, had consistently produced talented individuals, recorded in shining history.

Whether bureaucrats or militancy, great scholars or lauded poets, the An family had claim to it all. And contrary to the sayings, each new generation enriched, rather than diminish the prestige of the family.

Truly a blessing from Heaven!

Being very much aware of this, the elders took great pains in carefully rearing their juniors. Strict rules and regulations were imposed. Behind the high walls of the manor, talents were cultivated.

However, such is the nature of flowers. One may kept a locked garden, but the sweet fragrance still travelled with the wind!

Attributes and charms are a constant topic of gossips, and nothing attract more attention than the lure of the unobtainable.

How those young people would laugh, if they had known how eagerly people discussed their merits!

Thankfully, due to the diligence of the elders, and the strict regiments imposed upon the juniors, there is relatively small friction between the various young masters and misses.

Deep kinship is stressed upon from young and this forged a close-knit relationship amongst them.

An Lao Furen herself took great pains to ensure fairness and equality in the treatment of the young generation. Nothing saps the strength of a family faster than in-fighting and jealousy. One only needs to look at the Royal family to understand how utterly poisonous such emotions were!

Thus, she freely and honestly appreciate each and every one of her grandchildren. Encourages them to seek out their own special niche and proudly lauded any accomplishment they had shyly shown to her.

Such actions may seemed unorthodox and highly taboo in a society that clearly defined status. Where a child's fate is forever hampered by the standing of their birth. An Lao Furen's refusal to differentiate between the di and the shu of the An family were a source of scandalous gossiping in her early years. But now, looking at the harmonious life within the fu, she is content with having the last laugh.

Watching over the children is a blessing from Heaven, ah!

Having them around her, cheerfully competing without any worries or dark intentions, freely laughing and teasing each other, such treasures is not commonly found.

***

A first rank maid respectfully entered after observing all the necessary courtesies.

By An Lao Furen's side, Sun momo received a nod of her approval. This young one is acceptable. Sun momo had done her job well, training a good helper with exquisite deportment that won't look out of place even compared to the yahuan serving in the Imperial Palace. Worthy to serve by her side!

"Reporting to Lao Furen, 4th Young Master is waiting outside to give his morning greetings," she said.

"Oh? Sent him in!" An Lao Furen answered with a huge smile on her face.

It would be wrong to play favourites, not with the amount of grandchildren she possessed.

But if push to answer, this particular sweetheart of a child would undoubtedly be chosen, in the deepest parts of her heart. Not that she would share this knowledge with others.

Little 4th, An Jing Yu, courteously refered as Ruì Héng.

Never had a scion of this family being so aptly named!

His temperament so excellent, his talents so glorious! Tender of features and lovable idiosyncrasies.

Even now with his boyhood swiftly passing by, he would still promptly greet her every morning with his well wishing.

And every 1st and 15st of each month, without fail, he would  accompany this old grandmother of his on vegetarian diet for piety and continued blessings upon their family. None other from any of the household under her care had shown such dedication and steadfast will for such a long duration of time.

Only this one sweet child. This one beloved child.

With a happy sigh, she privately thanked the long departed 5th Madame, for giving birth to such a wonderful son. A pity that the young mother died much too early.

An Lao Furen hoped that young mother is watching from beyond, so that she might see that this An family did her child right, shirking no expenses in raising him to the very best of their capabilities.