Wine and Willows

Many eyes were focused towards the An Family's table, drawn by the cheerfulness and gaiety. Furthermore, identical triplets were a rarity. This would be an opportunity for many to see the phenomenon first-hand. The An Family's triplets were a seven day marvel when they were born, bringing praises to their mother and her family.

Those surnamed An are truly eye catching. Consistently coming out with outstanding talents and capable juniors. These past few generations however, they also had been producing charming gentleman and tender beauties. The two young misses and their brothers, such a pleasant sight to the eyes. Truly an abundance of blessings from charitable Heaven.

But humbly, this family emulated the bamboo. The higher they grew the deeper they bowed. Humility and modesty governed their actions. Thus they're seen as 'clean'. This positively influenced their social interaction, ensuring goodwill to the family, and mitigated the envy of others.

***

Marquis of Ying, Xu Bù Yí, looks on upon his sole heir as he jokes about with the An family. Watching his Yù Jīn-er and Jing Yu-er together, laughing and teasing,  reminded him of past Spring Hunts, when the world was younger and Fate was kinder.

He and his younger sister Xu Bì Yù had also been to countless Royal Banquets such as this. Being cousins to the Imperial Family afforded them opportunities greater than most people. But instead of being seated at the humble An table so far down below, they would be here at this Xu table, close to the Imperial seat.

He also would've acted as a shield for his sister's beauty, against those hungry staring eyes. Just as what his son was currently doing, he noted with a helpless smile.

Inwardly he pitied his nephew. Inheriting such a startling resemblance to his dead mother would a heavy load to bear. Especially for a youth on the knife-edge of manhood.

As the 21st Prince spiritedly joined their effervescence, it was as if time had turned backwards, and three old friends had came to grace the banquet again. Shades of himself, his sister, and he who now dons the Dragon robes.

He turned to the royal table, wondering if the Imperial eyes had also seen the same thing.  Judging by the fleeting look of poignancy, he received the answer. The Imperial One caught his gaze and they exchanged a sorrowful smile, lamenting she who departed too soon.

***

The Emperor paid close attention to that particular table, a bittersweet feeling in his heart. Akin to a parched man downing skins of water after a long journey, he gazed at the sole legacy of his beloved Bì Yù, as the beautiful child smiled and laughed at the antics of his company.

'If life had turned differently, that one would've been my child!'

'If the throne were destined for someone else, I would've been able to be with Bì Yù, living an ordinary life with simple pleasures...'

Unbidden, old yearnings clawed his heart. Bringing forth yesteryears long gone past.

He watched and watched, lost in the memories of his youth, until old regrets became unbearable, and turned away.

His personal aide, ever vigilant, pushed dishes and sweetmeats to the fore, keeping a low chatter of pleasant talk. He gave a grateful nod to the loyal servant.

The ignored Consort Li held on to her temper with clenched fists hiding in the sleeves of her glamorous robes. Poisonous thoughts nibbled behind her engaging smiles. Little doubts coupled with mistrustful nature, fanned her jealousy as it swept through like a wildlife in summer.

She secretly had her trusted servants seek information about the mysterious young gentleman. Each new tendril of knowledge stoked her hatred futher.