A Heart's Treasure (Cont'd)

A manservant of Róng wangfu was cursing his bad luck. Despite being  dressed in a nondescript manner, his continuous sighing and complaining were drawing the attention every passersby that crossed his path.  'What are strange fellow!' each of them thought. Speaking of such things, so early in the morning, would most definitely jinx his whole day!

Meanwhile, the poor servant was pummeling his brain to come up with a good way to pass on the message he was entrusted with, by that person in blue.

"Please tell wangye that... this letter would be the last one, for now."

This isn't the first time that the young master left for the temple. Why the sudden change?

***

The next day, before the two husband and wife of the 5th Household have a chance to catch him, An Jing Yù had already fled. Tūjué Furen's 1st-ranked yahuan who was sent to call him over, could only return with empty hands and apologetic looks towards her masters for failing her duties.

Of all the time for the 4th Young Master to develop a sneaky bone, why is it now?

"This odd habit of his, waking up before the crack of dawn was really troublesome! He's not some government official, tasked with attending Morning Court! Why is he needlessly harming himself?" Gentleman Zī Líng complained to his wife, as the room bustled with servants helping with the couple's morning routines. The care and pampering meaning of his words shone through, despite the impatient tone.

Grumbling to himself, An Jing Qiú settled down to breaking his fast. Summoning Liu-momo, he grandly passed down an order as he consumed his morning meal. 4th Young Master An is to present himself in the study, and obediently wait the return of his elder brother from his duties at the Míng Huì Academy. They have much to talk about.

His words flew swiftly, his tone resolute. Giving no room for anyone to interrupt. When his orders was met with awkward silence, in a way he had not ever envisioned, he turned to his wife in confusion and completely missed the puzzled look that the old nursemaid shot him with.

"Err... 1st Young Master, 1st Young Madame, it must have slipped your mind, but 4th Young Master would've been long gone already," another first-ranked yahuan discreetly reminded them.

"Tomorrow would be the 1st day of the month. 4th Young Master is accompanying Lao Furen to the temple for their customary prayers, as he always have done," Liu-momo advised them pointedly.

She inwardly harrumphed at this  master in front of her. How could this routine matter slipped his mind? But another smaller part of her worried. Had this household grown apart without her noticing, that the elder could actually lost track of the younger?

***

In a comfortable carriage, slowly making its way to a temple, An Lao Furen sighed as she watched her grandson's unnatural bout of restlessness grew. Seated next to her in the moving conveyance, she could feel his every twitch and jumpiness. ‘That envelope hidden away in his sleeve must've crinkled beyond saving already,’ she thought to herself, watching as his fingers worried the azure hem of his garment. Her eagle eyes had managed to catch the surreptitious exchange despite the fuss of their early journey, something her network of informants had told her was a daily occurrence.

In the beginning, these missives were handed over alongside other miscellaneous items that the residence received. But gradually, servants from the 5th Branch were specifically tasked with handling the exchange, before the situation ends up with only Liu-momo who was personally entrusted with the duty.