Flowering Youth, On Jade and Brocade

Sounds of merriment floated by as An Jing Yu made his way through the gardens.

And three guilty faces greeted him to the undeniable fact that he was too late. 9th Brother tried to hide the empty plate, as the other two surreptitiously cleaned their grubby hands.

Inwardly, he sighed at their antics. Ah, these three little cousins will be the death of him someday.

The trio began fawning over him, one helping him to a seat at the table, another pouring a drink, and the last fanning him with the wooden tray.

"4th Brother, don't be angry, ah!"
"4th Brother, really sorry about the pastries!"
"4th Brother, you really look good today, ah! Very handsome! Pleasing to the sight! Don't spoil your looks by being upset, ah!"

"What did you three monkeys just do?" A voice broke up the greasy pandering.

An Jing Xing, the 3rd Young Master of the 2nd Household strode forth. Courteously named Gentleman Bo Yi, this figure strikes terror in the triplets due to his strict personality. As always, his presence brings familiar reactions as they quickly peeled away. Citing haphazardly nonsensical reasons as they made their escape.

Snorting at the trio's back, he gestures to the waiting servant girls that followed him to the garden. Several plates of sweetmeats were set on the table before they politely departed.

"Eat. Your 3rd Sister-in-law also was in the small kitchens with 15th Sister."

"Thanking 3rd Brother."

"Those three finished their own portions as soon as it was set down. The gluttons! I knew they would target yours next. 1st Sister-in-law is too soft on them."

A soft laugh was his only answer from 4th Brother. They subsided into a companionable silence. Despite the 6 year gap between them, 3rd Young Master always felt closest to little 4th.

And so he felt no compunction in inquiring over the matter that had everyone else in tenterhooks.

"Are you going to join this year's Spring Hunt?"

"No."

"1st Brother is fine with this?"

"He's angry."

"That Li fellow is going to make noises about this, for sure."

"Let the dog bark."

Pffttt! He roared in laughter. Such a matter-of-fact tone used to degrade the most highly admired scholar in the current administration, perfectly illustrated 4th Brother temperament. Once his ire is raised, nothing else could be done.

Despite his soft-spoken nature, 4th Brother possess a core of unyielding steel. Rarely seen, considering his long patience, but once the seal was broken one could draw blood but he shall remain unchanged.

Gentleman Bo Yi shook his head as his laughter subsides. Mature beyond his years, little Fourth few bouts of temper brought home the fact that he is yet to be an adult, a fact the family frequently forgot.

However, such a milestone is rapidly nearing.

Clearing his throat, he went straight to the heart of the matter.

"I'm not here to convince you of anything. Nor do I wish to coerce the unpalatable. However, I have a few thoughts. I asked you to only listen. Do as you wished, afterwards. Yes?"

A nod. It is acceptable. An Jing Xing began. '1st Brother, this is my goodwill to you', he thought.

This prestigious invitation had been received by the family annually ever since he could remember. A mark of great distinction and favour from the Imperial seat. However, this would be the first time that Little 4th was specifically mentioned, however throwaway the comment was, by the taijian delivering the Imperial word.