WēiFēng

Wei Lián waited by the entrance to the stables with her maid FuYan, holding on to a covered wicker basket filled with the latest lessons from Chef Hong-shi. Ignoring the chatter between her maid and the stable boy in charge of her 4th Brother's mount, she was deeply contemplating the mechanics and dangers involved in riding the unfairly tall horse.

WēiFēng was placidly nibbling at a few sunflower seeds in the boy's hand. An 15th Miss tried to estimate the difference between them, as the two siblings traded stories and news from home.

WēiFēng is very tall.

Compared to her tiny stature, rendered so by a long bout of illness a few years ago, WēiFēng is very, very tall.

Usually, this doesn't really seemed to bother her. Getting a chance to ride WēiFēng is something of a treat, among the various cousins.

However, she just spent an afternoon inadvertently listening to the miscellaneous gory tales of horse related mishaps, sparked by the retelling of the injuries suffered by the son of Manager Tang-shi.

WēiFēng is very, very, very tall.

No doubt attracted by the delicious fragrance of her baking, the horse leaned down to sniff at the basket. Nudging at her shoulders, he begged for some. Spoiled by a small army of children who adored him, WēiFēng was very good at detecting treats.

Tickled by his shameless behaviour, she petted his massive head. Pushing his velvety nose away, she tried to be stern. "No, WēiFēng!". She tried channelling 4th Brother's intonation, but the giggles got in her way and Wei Lián ended up with a squeaky sort of voice.

Unimpressed, WēiFēng snorted a hot breath to her face. She giggled and distracted him with pets and strokings.

WēiFēng, always game for affections, was mollified. For now. He'll get those nice smelling somethings later. These tiny humans always have nice somethings for the Great WēiFēng.

They were unaware of the admiring looks of a certain head groom from the Róng qinwang residence. Casting an experienced eye over the horse's musculature, he was busily estimating the possibilities of this unusual equine.

***

'Probably an easy temper, judging by that stable boy's ease. Could be a runner, by the looks of those legs. Wide chest and huge nostrils, good endurance!' He gleefully listed all of WēiFēng's attributes, calculations and guesswork filling his mind.

The man paid special attention to anyone who came by. Wishing to see who that beautiful horse belongs to. This rare occurrence is not to be squandered away. He must be acquainted to the owner. To find out more about the horse and where it came from.

Old Zhang was bored, waiting for Róng wangye to come out of the teahouse. After a while, he decided on a walk to stretch his legs. He didn't know that JiāYáo had another, smaller, stable at this part of the building, but was attracted by the smell, familiar to all stablehands and common to barns everywhere.

A peek brought him the sight of a magnificent chestnut, tossing his head proudly as a small stable boy was leading him. Initially, he was alarmed at the thought of having such a young child responsible for such a great beast. What were they thinking of, these people at JiāYáo?!

But watching how the horse responded amiably towards the adorably bossy tone of his boy, calmed him down. Glossy coat, a beautiful mane and those rippling muscles told the story of a well loved animal. And the horse mad part of him started taking notes.

Alas, luck was not with him. Before he could meet the owner, Róng wangye was ready to leave.

***