twenty five: mother

When I heard what Jimin said, I quickly rushed towards the wheeled bed, where my mom was, lying on there, and her head is bleeding uncontrollably. Her eyes are closed, and she was unconscious.  My eyes started to be blurry from tears, as I tried to reach out to my mother's hand, but she was already wheeled inside the emergency room, and a nurse blocked me from entering, “Sorry, miss. You cannot go inside. We'll try our very best to let her live.” she said with a worried look on her face, and then closed the door right in front of my face.

I choked down a sob, as I felt someone walking towards my direction. A hand got ahold of my shoulder. I turned back, and saw my father looking at me with sad eyes. I immediately hugged him and cried on his chest. “It's okay, Minji.. Your mom will survive.. She's the toughest woman that I ever knew.” my father said, ruffling with my hair as I sobbed on his chest, “Dad..” “It's okay, Minmin.. It's okay..”Dad said reassuringly.

Jimin was crying as he sat on the waiting chairs, and Taehyung was comforting him. I walked on the hallway back and forth, as I cannot keep calm right now. I've been biting my lips and I felt like they were about to bleed, but I didn't mind as I was anxious about my mother's survival.

“Who hit her? What happened?”I asked, kind of angered and confused. Jimin took a shaky breath before he answered, “It was a hit and run. We weren't able to get the plate number of the car because the car was too fast, and didn't even stop when it hit mom.”Jimin's hands formed into tight fists, “But I'm sure that it's a black Strada.” he said  through his gritted teeth.

“Did you guys report it to the police?” Cheonkook asked, and Jimin shook his head, “No, since we brought mom in here first.”

There was a long silence among us. I felt like every breath is shaking, and  every heart is beating rapidly,  agitated by the happenings that occured on this day.

When the doctor went out of the emergency room, everyone of us are alerted by his presence. The ones who were sitting stood up and looked at the doctor, and all of us looked at the man in the blood-stained white coat with mixed feelings, but we hoped that he'll tell us what we wanted to hear, and that is; "She survived."

But no. Our hopes slowly died down when the doctor's expression was blank, as he looked at us and heaved out a loud exhalation, “I'm sorry. The patient is dead on arrival.”

Everything around me turned dark, and I felt really numb. What the doctor told us kept on ringing in my ears, reminding me that mom isn't here with us anymore, and she'll never come back ever again.  My knees collapsed on the ground, and I really  wanted to cry, but I can't. I wanted to scream and throw tantrums, but I can't. I want to go after that black van that hit my mother dead, but I know I can't.

“Minji...” Someone crouched down beside me. I slowly looked at him, blinking my tears away, “What?” I choked down a sob as I saw Min Yoongi looking at me with a worried look on his face. He slowly extended his arms, “You can just cry here anyti-”I immediately went towards his embrace and cried all my heart out. My voice was muffled by Yoongi's shirt, as I felt his arms wrapped around me, and pulled me into a tight hug. I felt that the hug was sincere and comforting, and I just wanted to stay in this kind of embrace all day.

“I'm sorry...”I heard Yoongi mumble as he buried his face on the crook of my neck.

“It was a success!”The doctor exclaimed happily, and that somehow made me feel happy, since Jae's surgery went well. I looked over to Yoongi, and a smile stretched his lips, “Thank you, doc.” The doctor just nodded, “But he will stay here for another three months for the recovery, then Jae is good to go. We'll check on him for the next five years if there are any complications and side effects of the surgery on him, and if not, then Jae is healed.” the doctor reassured, and Yoongi nodded.

When the doctor left Jae's room, everyone of us sighed in relief, as we looked at Jae who is still bedridden and unconscious. Yoongi sat beside Jae's bed, and he held the boy's small hand and kissed it, “Wake up sooner, okay?” Yoongi said, caressing Jae's head.

I sat at the corner, looking at them. Dad and Jimin went out to report the hit and run to the police, and mom's corpse was sent immediately to the cremating house. Seokjin, Taehyung, and Cheonkook already left the hospital.

When Yoongi rested his head on Jae's hand, I guessed that he already fell asleep. I looked at the time, and it is already pretty late at night, about 11:30 in the evening.

I went towards Jae's bed, and sat across Yoongi. I looked at Jae's pale face who is peacefully sleeping. I sighed, and let out a sad smile, “Hey, Jae.” I said, “Good thing that you survived, and your surgery was a success. ”

Jae's chest just went up and down, the sound of his breathing was heard clearly around this silent room, along with the heartbeat monitor and the IV drop, “I'm really glad.”I said, and then looked at Yoongi across me, who was sleeping soundly, “Your dad really does care about you... It's a nice thing that he learned and tried to correct his mistakes in a few days time.” I paused, “That's a nice character development for Min Yoongi.”

“Jae, I might not be your biological mom, nor did I ever raised you when you were still a baby, but I promise that I'll watch over you like you're my own son.”I said, “Yoongi might find some other girl and marry her and she'll become your stepmother or something, but I'll just be here and you can still call me mom, since you're the best son that I never had.” Jae didn't respond, of course. I got his hand, “So please, Jae. Wake up soon.  Mom misses you.”

Yoongi's head moved a bit, which made me flinch. Is he awake? I went over to him, and swept his faded blue hair off his eyes. He's still sleeping soundly, and I heaved out a sigh of relief as I sat back on my seat.

I leaned my head on Jae's bed, and started to fall asleep, trying to ignore what happened today in which I know that will deprive me from my sleep if I ever thought about it.

_______________________________

so I'm binge-writing this book atm I think I'm near on writing the ending of this story