twenty six: Christmas Dinner

“I'm so sorry for your loss.”Namjoon told me, and I just smiled and nodded, “I know that my mother is in a better place now. Thanks for coming by.”I said, as Namjoon left the funeral. “Was the driver sent to jail?”Hoseok asked me, and I nodded, “Yeah. Justice has been served.” “That's a good thing. Be strong, Minji.” Hoseok smiled and patted my shoulders, and I nodded, “I will. Thank you.”

The two of them left the funeral. Yoongi is still in the hospital to watch over Jae in his recovery time, so he wasn't able to come by. It has been two weeks since my mother died, and now we are holding her funeral. It is sad, but dad, Jimin, and I accepted the fact that mom left us for the better good, and we'll continue on living without mom on our side.

Her ashes are buried six feet under the ground by a mahogany tree in the cemetery. Dad, Jimin, and I just stood there. I placed a bunch of baby's breath flowers on the marble gravestone on the ground, while Jimin lit the candles beside the flowers. “We'll miss you, Haerin.” Dad said to the gravestone, as he ruffled my hair and Jimin's hair with a sad smile plastered on his face. Jimin's tears are rolling down his cheeks, as he was wiping them immediately.

I sniffed, and  rubbed my nose with the sleeve of my black hoodie, “Ah, let us not be too dramatic here.”I said, and stifled out a laugh, “Mom wouldn't like that if the three of us are crying on a gravestone.”

We looked at the gravestone again, and smiled, as we entered Jimin's car and drove out of the cemetery.

“My hair is growing back!”Jae exclaimed happily as he placed his hands on his head where there's half an inch of hair is growing from his scalp. Jae's cheeks turned into it's usual light pink color, as his lips are back to his normal soft and pink ones. In short, Jae's condition is getting better and he gets healthier as time passed by.

“That's great!”I said, and ruffled his newly-grown hair. Jae just smiled bightly as he nodded, “I can't wait to get out of here.” Jae said giddily. “Well you're about to get out of here tomorrow.”Yoongi said, smiling.

“Where do you want to go when you're finally out of here?”I asked. Jae's eyes gleamed as he was about to tell me everything that he missed from the outside world, “I want us to go to the beach, go diving, and doing some water activities under the sun. I also want to go back to that amusement park and ride all the fun rides there.” “Jae, it's December. We cannot do that yet.” I said, and Jae just sighed, “Then we can do it next summer!” I laughed, and nodded, “Okay, What next?”

“I missed grans and gramps, so I want to be with them this Christmas.”Jae said. “You're not going to spend Christmas with me here in Seoul?”Yoongi pouted cutely at his son, and Jae just laughed, “Well all of us are going to spend Christmas together.. Including mom.” Jae looked at me, which made Yoongi turn back towards me. My face heated up, “A-Ah. It's okay, I don't want to interrupt with your family bonding.”I laughed sheepishly, and Yoongi just raised an eyebrow at me, “What do you mean? We're family now.”

If possible, I think my face went brighter red, “W-What?” I'll just be here and you can still call me mom, since you're the best son that I never had” Yoongi quoted on what I said three months ago, “I still remember that. You told that to Jae, right? That even though you're not his biological mother, he is still like a son to you.” he said, a mischievous smirk appeared on his face.

“I don't know what are you talking about, Yoongi.”I said, looking away, and Yoongi just laughed, “Ah, just admit it already.” he said, clicking his tongue, “Do you want us to be on or-” “If I'm acting as a mother figure to your son, it doesn't mean that I want us to be on a real relationship.”I snapped, and Yoongi raised an eyebrow, “Your face says otherwise, Chipmunk.”