Chapter 2 - First Day

[Dua Lipa: Hotter than Hell]

Thea

Ring!

Ring!

Ring!

Ring!

"Let me sleep a bit longer, please..." I murmur and put the pillow over my head, then continue to sleep. Then, I feel weird about who I talked to just now when I'm clearly alone in this house. I am in another country, away from my bestie. With my eyes still closed, I try to reach the clock to stop this annoying sound. A moment later, the sound already stops, and I rub my eyes and then look at the time.

"Arghhhhhhh!!!!!" Automatically, my body jumps from the bed and rushes to the bathroom. I undress, and then I realise that I brought the clock with me. I have no time to think, so I just put the clock in the sink and take a shower—the most quick shower I have ever taken in my entire life. Brush my teeth, clean my face, and give myself a quick rinse in the shower. Then take the towel and wrap my body. Without wiping my body properly, I dash out of it and open my dresser to see what outfit I should wear.

Wow! You're so smart, Thea, like really smart. The dresser is completely empty! Give yourself applause. I groan and run towards my luggage. I wear my undergarments, and then I just pick a cream dress and put it on. Now for my hair, I make it a ponytail, and then for my face, I put on some mascara and pink lipstick.

Ugh, why is a woman so complicated?

I take a quick look at myself in the mirror.

Hmm, this will do.

I'm Grabbing my handbag and also a file that I need later.

I guess...

I look at the time on my phone and gasp when I only have 10 minutes left. Fuck!

The company is not too far from here, so I think I can reach there in time if I start to walk now. I left my house and pressed the lift. The lift arrives not long after that, and I wait impatiently for it to get to the lobby. As soon as the door opens, I dash out and start my long journey to the company. It's not even 8 in the morning yet, but I'm already sweating from running.

What a life!

*****

"I don't expect my employee to be 10 minutes late on their first day, Ms. Morris." I apologise to my boss and feel super dumb when I remember that I almost slept in. But actually, I did arrive in time, but I am so hungry since last night I decided to skip dinner. So, I went to buy myself breakfast at the cafe across the road, and that's why I am late. Well, you can't blame me because whatever it is, food comes first.

Well, I guess it's just me.

"Okay, since this is your first day, I'll forgive you, but I don't want you to be late again next time. You can go to your office now." I nodded my head weakly and walked to the door to leave. Thank God, I am not getting fired. That would be bad if my boss is super strict. Lucky for me, I have a kind boss.

Oh, um, Mr. Gerald, how should I know which one is my office?" I ask him.

"You can ask the receptionist to bring you to your room." He replied, and I left the room. I think he's going to be a great boss because he seems cool, even though he looks fierce. He actually reminds me of my dad.

It's a good thing that the receptionist didn't act like a rude bitch like when I went to the interview for a job at one of the companies in LA, but she seems a bit snobbish to me. I guess she is not a friendly type of person. She showed me my room, and now I'm sitting on the chair and just looking at the file on my desk. I can finally take a deep breath, and at least I can rest for one minute before I start my work.

Just then, the phone on my desk rang. "Hello." I picked it up.

"Ms. Morris, I need you to go down on the eleventh floor and pick up the file of our new project from the receptionist there. Then, come and meet me after that file is with you. Is that clear, Ms. Morris?"

"Alright, sir, that will do." I put the phone down and immediately went and made my way to the eleventh floor to take the file of my first project. I feel so excited about it.

"Hello there, can I get the file that is the new project for this company?" I ask politely when I arrive there.

"And you are?" The receptionist didn't even look at my face because she was too busy with her nails. I don't know, being a receptionist, you've got lots of free time that you can use to do manicures here.

"Thea Morris," I said, waiting for her to give the files patiently. "Ehem, I'm still here." I clear my throat, and she looks at me with an unsatisfied look. She hands me the files and mumbles something that I don't even understand. I walk back to her and look at her. "Did you say something just now?" I ask.

"So? If I did say something, that is your problem." I scoff. I really don't want to make an enemy on my first day, but this woman right here really asks for it.

"You know what? I love the colour, but when you put it on your nails, it turns out to be super ugly. So I think you better stop colouring your short, ugly nails and do your work. I've got to go nice to meet you." I smile at her and walk towards the lift. I hear her say something to me, but I just let it be and walk into the lift. I still can't believe she has the courage to colour her nails during working hours.

*****

I knock on the door to meet Mr. Gerald. I walk in when I hear him say to come in. "This is the file, sir." I put the file in front of him, and he looked at it for a while before giving it back to me.

"As you know, this is your very first project, and I hope you will give it your best. Also, this project will take about four years. So you have plenty of time to think about the design and all that. This project is going to start in three days, and when you're done with your designs, you don't have to show them to me because I'm not the one who's capable of choosing or approving those things." I raised my eyebrows.

"What do you mean by not capable?" I ask him.

"Let me tell you alright, Ms.Morris, this company is under The Sanchez Holding Cooperation, and of course I'm not the one who owns this building, but I am one of those trusted people that our big boss trusts, which is why I sit here now." I'm speechless. I thought he was the boss, a.k.a. the owner, of this company.

"So you mean there's another person who holds the power of this entire building?" I asked him, and he nodded his head. Great.

"You're right. So I think you know all of it already. You can start to sketch your design starting today because Mr. Sanchez will come here and meet you in two days. Oh, and the things that you need to know are all in that file. The concept, the theme, and all those things." I nodded my head, and I stood up from the seat and took the file with me before walking out of the room. I still can't believe this. Am I dreaming? Hallucinating? Why didn't I know any of these things when I asked for this job? I pinch my cheeks, and it hurts. So that means I'm not dreaming or hallucinating.

Sanchez, Sanchez, Sanchez

It seems familiar to me, but where did I hear that name? I swear, it sounds so familiar.

I shrugged and decided to search for it later. At least I have a job now. I put the file on my table and took out a few blank papers to start sketching it.

______________________________________

How about chapter 2?

Don't be shy; tell me how you feel about this chapter!

Vote

Comment

Share

*****

Much love from me.

Little munchkins