Chapter 4

Johns POV

"I know Sonia, but Clarice is in bad shape. We need to do something for her" i said to Dreamer, she was going on about the fact that Clarice had also passed out.
It had to be connected to Hayley somehow....
"I've been trying to reach a doctor in Gainesville..... i can't get anybody at this hour" she told me.
"Just keep trying. And we need to try to find a place for the family".
Sonia chuckled and shook her head in disbelief "This family, Who are these people? You almost got killed, Johnny. We didn't discuss this".
"No, we didn't" i agreed and turned to Marcos "It's about time we talked about this freelance job of yours. You just run off and pull this without telling anyone?"
"We help mutants in danger, John.
Those kids are mutants, and you sure as hell saw the danger".
"Come on, don't give me that. This was about Lorna".
"So what if it was? We can't just leave her out there!"
"You don't think I want her back, too? We're not gonna help her by destroying the whole organization".
"Guys. You got to come....Something's wrong" Lauren, the Strucker girl appeared on the stairs.

We followed her out to where Hayley & Clarice were laid, Hayley was on a sofa and Clarice had been laid on a metal trolley beside her.
"Their in respiratory distress, and their temperature's spiking.....I'm a nurse" Caitlin the mother of the Strucker family told us "We need to help them"
"Clarice portalled for miles, the energy that must take....maybe Hayley's ability has distrupted Clarice's?" I guessed
"I can't, I can't breathe". Clarice said quietly.
"She needs medical attention" Caitlin told us looking over at Clarice "they both do"
"We can't get a doctor right now" Marcos answered before i could.
"Are you telling me you have this whole network and you don't have a...."
"A what? A Blue Cross? Yeah, we're on the mutant plan. No, we've got some first aid and some painkillers".
"Can you do anything?" I asked Caitlin from beside Hayley.
"I-I took a one-week course on human variant medicine in school".
"Mom....She saved us. You can help her". Lauren reassured her mom who was looking very overwhelmed by everything going on right now.
"Yeah......Okay. Their heart rate's are through the roof.....Without running tests, I can't....." she gasped when we heard electricity crackling. When we looked Hayley's powers were getting more out of control which seemed to be effecting Clarice......
"What, what are they doing? What's going on?" Andy asked stepping away from them both.
"They may be in shock. If their system's crashing, if it's unstable, it may be affecting their abilities".
"What do they need?" I asked, i would get whatever it was Caitlin needed to save them... to save Hayley.
"Hypercortisone-D to stabilize their powers, Sodium polystyrene sulfonate for potassium, S-Something to restore their blood calcium.....They need a hospital!".
"Whoa, a hospital? She's wanted.
She'll go to jail!!" Marcos said pointing at Hayley, this couldnt be happening.
"I don't think you understand me.
She could die here..... they both could".

We stood discussing our options, trying to come up with a way to fix Hayley & Clarice when we heard the cracking electricity noise again.
"What is that?" Lauren asked, i turned to see one of Clarice's portals opening... Hayleys powers seeming to magnify the size of the portal. "Move!" I yelled to everyone when i heard horns honking and tires screeching..... a truck came heading straight through the portal towards us all! It closed while the truck was half way through and cut it in half!!

The back end of the truck came rolling towards Hayley, i turned just in time covering her with my body and taking the impact of the truck. I leant back and looked over Hayley to make sure she was okay before turning back to the others.
"You all right?" I asked Caitlin who looked dazed and was bleeding slightly.
"Mom!" the strucker kids both cried out rushing to her side.
"No, it's okay" she told them holding a hand to her bloody head
"You're cut"
"It's okay" Caitlin nodded to her children.
"How is she doing this?" Marcos asked looking at Caitlin as if she held the answers.
"I think I was pretty clear, I'm not an expert" she snapped, this was crazy!