Chapter 26.

I landed next to the cars with Marcos's arms wrapped around me from where he had grabbed me and leapt towards the portal, i could still hear the portal crackling behind me as John and Clarice came through.
"Wh-Where is he? Where the hell is Campbell?!" Esme was yelling as we rushed to get in the cars.
"We couldn't get to him" John said to her quickly opening the car door and ushering me inside.
"He shielded himself with a bunch of kids" Marcos stated hoping that would be enough to shut her up so we could get out of there.
"So what?"
"So, kids!!" I stated looking at the woman like she was crazy! Did she really say that??
"Do you know how many people are gonna die if the Hound program continues? We are not leaving here without him!" Esme carried on ranting.
The sound of a police siren got our attention stopping all conversation, i saw John use his tracking ability before telling us all that we had to go.
"No! We can't" Esme yelled shaking her head at us.
"They're coming! We have to go!" He told her firmly getting into the car next to me and closing the door. Marcos and Clarice climbed in with us as Lorna and Esme got into the car in front. The engines start and we race off, each car being driven by one of the Frost sisters.
"Suspects spotted. They're fleeing in two black SUVs" we could hear the dispatcher saying over the radio, sirens wailing behind us "Attention all units. Suspects are headed west on Route 5 through Charlotte. Two cars in pursuit"
"What the hell is she doing...." i asked seeing Lorna climbing up through the sunroof of the car in front. We watched as she used her abilities to bring down electrical posts to block the road and stop the cars from following us.
"Wow.... thats new. Shes getting stronger" Clarice said looking shocked.
"Shes been getting stronger, loosing control a little when shes mad....." Marcos started to say running a hand over his face, he was worried about Lorna i could tell.
"Its the pregnancy, its been happening to me too" i said honestly, i could feel my abilities more since i found out i was pregnant and when i was pissed off i felt myself loosing control of them too....Like it just took over.

We soon arrived back at the safe house and made our way inside.
"How could you just let Campbell get away like that?" Esme said to Marcos as she walked beside him towards the house.
"Uh, we didn't let him do anything. What the hell are we supposed to do, attack a bunch of little kids?"
"You're worried about their kids?....Worry about your own!" Esme yelled at Marcos who just scoffed at what she was saying
"he is on his way to D.C. With a Senator in his pocket right now".
"After today, we just gave them a hell of an excuse to expand the Hound program" Clarice said from beside me shaking her head.
"I'm sorry....And-and this is our fault?" Marcos said to Esme in question "we did everything we could!"
"Yes, this is your fault! What we need to figure out now is where Campbell is so we can finish what we started!" She snapped before going inside leaving the four of us standing baffled at how we were being blamed for this turn of events.
"She is unbelievable!" I said letting out a laugh shaking my head, i honestly couldn't wrap my head around this whole thing.
"Marcos.... who's blood is that on your shirt?" Clarice asked making everyone look at him , he had blood staining the front of his shirt. Marcos looked down at his shirt and shrugged "i dont know, i didnt even notice it..... Hayley was you hit?" He turned to face me as he remembered that he had pulled me to safety in the hall. I was the only one who had been close enough to get blood on him. John was instantly standing in front of me checking me for injuries before i had a chance to reply.
"You were hit Hales!" John stated seeing a bullet wound in my shoulder when he pulled my jacket back "why didn't you say anything!"
"I didn't realise! Im fine Johnny relax! Its probably healed already...i cant feel a thing" i assured him placing my hand on his chest to hold him back slightly.
"Lets get inside i want to check for myself" he said said taking my hand and pulling me into the house. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at how protective he was, Clarice noticed and chuckled a little to herself.

John led us through to the office he and Marcos had been using earlier, once i was inside he closed the door and locked it "okay, take off your shirt"
"Oh my, Mr Proudstar you sure know how to talk to a lady....." i teased him letting out a small laugh but he clearly wasn't in the mood.
"Hayley I'm not kidding, let me see"
"Okayyyyy....Jesus! Give me a second..... John im fine! Your over reacting..." i said shrugging out of my jacket and then started undoing the buttons on my shirt. He took a few quick steps forward so he was standing in front of me. His hands pushed mine out of the way, clearly not working on the buttons quick enough for his liking! He pulled my shirt down off my shoulders checking for any injuries but there weren't any.
"See. I told you I'm okay" i said placing my hand gently to the side of his face to make him look at me "this kid has got my back" i said moving his hand to rest on my slightly swollen stomach.
"I know" John nodded leaning forward and pressing a kiss into my hair "i cant help but worry about you though. I had to see for myself that you were okay"
"I know babe, i know" i said with a smile "I'm gonna go up and get changed, i'll meet you back here in 10"
"Okay, I'm gonna get changed and try and call HQ to check in".
After giving John a quick peck on the cheek i headed upstairs to get changed into my own clothes and out of this god forsaken guard uniform.