Chapter Six

"Mom, I don't need a newly designed gown. I'm fine with just choosing whatever's available." I told her.

"It's a grand event, Lavie. You need to look your best." she argued.

I laughed, shaking my head at my mother. "It's not even my debut. It's Alana's."

Alana's eighteenth birthday is on the ninth of August, which is in a month and a week.

"That doesn't mean you can't look good."

"What if we compromise? I'll just get a design that Ms. Thalia already prepared." I suggested and looked out the window. We were approaching in front of the sport center's entrance.

My mother heavily sighed. The car slowly halted. "Fine."

I beamed at her and removed my seat belt. I leaned towards her seat and kissed her on the cheek. Nagpaalam ako at matapos ay lumabas ng sasakyan.

The guard smiled upon seeing me and allowed me to enter with ease. Kilala na kasi ako rito. Xavi always play basketball here to train and sometimes just for fun with his friends.

The complex is big enough to cater three indoor basketball courts. There were other people playing here, too. Natagpuan ko sa dulong parte ng court sila Xavi. They're already playing. I spotted his usual playmates, iyong mga kasama niya sa basketball team. His closest friends, Valen and Ryder, are also here.

Dumiretso ako sa bench na nasa tapat ng court na pinaglalaruan nila. I'm sure it's theirs because I saw Xavi's gym bag. Umupo ako sa tabi nito at nanuod na ng game.

I can't tell who's against who. Hindi naman kasi uniform ang mga jersey na suot nila. I watched the game play of Xavi, Valen, and Ryder—since sila lang naman ang malapit sa akin sa mga naglalaro. The rest are just familiar faces since they hang around Xavi and I see them around our school campus.

Valentino Hayes became friends with Xavi because their fathers were friends since college. Si Ryder Pajarillo naman ay ang tanging malapit na kaibigan niya sa school namin.

Kahit na nasa ibang school si Valen, mas malapit pa rin si Xavi rito. That's because like me and Xavi, they've known each other since they were babies. Si Ryd ay nakilala lang ni Xavi nung first year highschool kami. They don't hang out in school that much, since X is always with me.

Tuwing hang out naman, silang tatlo talaga ang magkakasama. X sometimes bring me along with them, too. Usually on night road trips and their video game sessions. The two doesn't mind. Napalapit na rin ako sa kanila.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Xavi's eyes found me sitting on the bench. He briefly stopped from guarding the player he was having a face off with. I waved at him. He smirked at me before catching after the guy who escaped his defense.

Watching Xavi play is fun. It's because he doesn't play like it's matter of death. Basketball is a simple game to him. Just by watching him, I could easily tell that he plays purely for his amusement. Even with that laid back attitude, he's still damn good. Paano pa kaya kung magseryoso na siya sa paglalaro?

It's no question where he got the skill and fondness for basketball. Tito Zion used to be part of the varsity team of his university. He played in the UAAP back in his college days.

I once asked Xavi before if he wants to follow his Dad's footsteps, he said no. He told me that it's too time consuming. He can't commit to something that will deviate his attention from what's more important. Tinanong siya kung anong importante iyon, the idiot just smiled at me so I never asked again.

Pinanuod ko lang sila sa bench hanggang sa tumigil sila sa paglalaro. Bumalik na ang mga players sa bench kung nasaan ako. Xavi and the guys made their way to me.