Chapter Forty

"Meeting adjourned," Garret, our boss, announced. Nagsitayuan na ang ibang employees habang ako ay pinapatay pa lang ang laptop na ginamit para magtake down ng notes. 

"Lavie." My head raised upon hearing my name. Tumama ang mga mata ko kay Garret na siyang tumawag sa akin. "Can you stay for a minute?"

"Sure." I smiled and nodded. Isinarado ko ang laptop at naghintay sa kinauupuan. 

He briefly talked to Kate before transferring his entire attention on me. Garret is a good looking English man who's in his early thirties. He's got blonde hair, tan skin, blue eyes, and a really good smile.

"I want you with me at tomorrow's meeting with the Beaumont Spa," he started.

My lips parted. I pitched an idea for that project and he liked it, but I was just an assistant creative director. Normally, we don't get to sit on meetings like these.

"You don't think you're ready?" He cocked his eyebrow and flashed me a mocking grin.

Tumawa ako. "Are you kidding? I already picked out my outfit for that meeting."

I met Garret at the bus stop. I was criticizing the several posters while waiting for the bus to come when he suddenly talked to me. Tinanong niya ako kung ano ang tingin ko sa isang poster. It was an advertisement for a food. 

I gave him my honest comment and pointed out every flaw that I saw. It turns out that their agency was the one who made that advertisement. He gave me his calling card and asked if I'd be interested in working for him.

At first, I honestly thought it was a scam. He asked me to come to their office the next day. All I needed to do was present his business card at the lobby. Garret was in a meeting when I came, so his assistant toured me around first and gave me a quick brief of the working environment. 

I liked the office. Malapit lang ito sa bahay nila Mama Nova. I also searched the area for apartments. After talking to Garret, he asked me if I could start tomorrow and I gave him a yes.

Now, I've been working in his company for two years now and I'm happy with my career. Right now, I'm working for a promotion and Garret is preparing me for it. 

"How about an early dinner to prep you for tomorrow?" Garret asked.

My face crunched. "I can't... I still have to pick up my friend from the airport."

"Alright. Raincheck?" He gave me a hopeful smile.

"Sure." Tumango ako at tumayo na para matapos ang usapan.

I'm not naive. I know if I gave Garret some signals, he won't think twice in asking me out. Garret is cute and nice. He's been patient and accommodating to my schedule for the past years, but I feel like I already have a lot on my plate. Wala akong oras para pumasok sa isang relasyon. 

A relationship will require too much time and commitment. Plus, dating your boss isn't a smart thing. What if it doesn't work out? Just the mere thought of the messy aftermath is already giving me a headache. So, no. I'm not even considering the idea.

Eight o'clock pa ang arrival ni Alana sa Cardiff Airport. That's why I decided to drop by at my grandparents' house first. Hindi ko na kailangan pang kumatok. I used my duplicate key. 

I found them at the living room. My grandfather was sitting at the recliner chair. Mama Nova's nowhere to be seen. A smile automatically filled my lips. Parang nawala ang pagod ko buong araw nang makita ko si Dionne sa sahig at naglalaro ng kanyang mga laruan.

I stayed on my spot and quietly watched my two year old daughter play with her toys. She looked like a little angel. Her soft brown hair was tied into a curly ponytail. Her rosy cheeks were chubby.