Chapter Ten

"Lavie?" I heard someone say, and just like that, the silence disappeared as the noise filled my ears and I was brought back to reality.

I blinked a few times before truly coming back to my senses. I scanned what's in front of me. I zoned out and totally forgot that I was eating lunch with my family. All of their eyes were on me.

"Are you okay?" Mom asked. Her forehead was slightly creased. Worry was evident in her usual stoic eyes.

I gave flashed a smile, not wanting them to worry. "Yes po."

"You've been quiet lately. Is there something bothering you?" she urged.

"It's nothing, Mommy. Just school stuff." I grinned to assure her better.

I mentally breathed out in relief when she let it go and moved on to another topic. I tried to stay attentive and joined the conversation. Ayaw ko na mabalik ulit sa akin ang hot seat. I'm not that good at lying.

There's something wrong with me. Something that I've been refusing to think about and acknowledge. I shouldn't let it bother me. Just merely entertaining the thought is wrong. Hindi pwede. I will surely be departed to hell if I permit this craziness to continue.

The past few days, I've tried my best to keep myself busy. I did everything, from running errands for my parents to keeping Alana's company. Anything to divert my attention. Night times are my only enemy. It's the time when the thoughts come and haunt me.

For this afternoon, I'll be shopping with Alana. Shopping with Alana is exhausting but I needed the diversion. That's why I agreed. Libre niya naman ang snack kaya madali rin akong pumayag.

"Where are you?" I asked as soon as Alana answered the call.

"Still on the way. Nagpa-reserve na ako ng table. I'll text you the details," she answered in a hurried voice.

"Alright." I ended the call and placed my phone inside my bag.

The car slowly halted. I looked outside the window. Nasa tapat na kami ng entrance ng mall. Ibinalik ko ang tingin sa driver.

"Thank you po."

"Tawagan mo na lang po ako kung magpapasundo ka, Ma'am," Manong courtly said.

"Sige po." Tumango ako at lumabas na ng sasakyan.

I was already inside the mall when I received Alana's text. I followed her instructions and went to the fancy place that she picked.

"Hi, Ma'am. Table for how many po?" the female staff asked.

"Table reservation for Alana."

The staff glanced at her high table and nodded. She smiled. "Left wing po. Table 5."

"Thanks," I muttered before entering the restaurant.

The place has a nice and expensive ambiance. Madami rin ang tao, pero hindi maingay kagaya sa ibang food chains. I didn't waste time and searched for the table that Alana reserved at the left wing. There were numbers on the table, so looking for it won't be too hard.

I spotted the table with number five sticking on top of it. My forehead creased when I realized that it's being occupied by a guy that I don't know. I quickly double checked Alana's message.

It states table number 5. Iyon din ang sinabi ng babaeng staff sa harap kanina. The guy must be sitting on our table by mistake.

Lumapit ako sa table. Abala ang lalaki sa kanyang phone. Hindi man lang napansin ang paglapit ko.

I cleared my throat, hoping that'd be enough to catch his attention. It did. He lazily raised his head up. His bored expression was quickly replaced with raised eyebrows and slight astonishment.