Chapter 14

"Woo! Go Brads!" The blonde cheered, she had managed to get a seat on the bottom row of the bleachers, right in the front. Her phone buzzed, she knew it was Marie but let it ring. It was Saturday, time to let loose. Still, a drop of guilt nagged at her for not picking up the call. What if it had been important?

She was so caught up in her own thoughts she almost missed him hitting a homerun. Clapping, she tried to take her mind off her worries and just enjoy the game. After all, he had invited her personally to come.

· · · · ·

After the game was over, his team had won. Sabrina dashed out of the bleachers and towards the entrance to the field. Out of pure joy, he ran over and picked her up, spinning her around. She laughed, "My lucky charm," He spoke.

"I guess I'll have to come more often then," She replied. In a matter of moments, his teammates came rushing at him. He set her down, and the team rallied around him.

"Who's the man? You the man! Good job on that last minute run Brad," The team captain congratulated him, patting him on the back.

"Thanks Joe, I do try," He replied.

"Hey, is that your girlfriend?" His other teammate Jake asked. Sabrina blushed in the distance, however she was confused as to why. It wasn't like she had a crush on him, right?

Bradley waved her over, she walked towards them. He wrapped an arm around her when she got there, "B's my best friend,"He answered.

Jake dramatically drew a hand to his chest, "But I thought I was your best friend."

Bradley chuckled, "You've been replaced."

"Aw man, guess I'll have to settle for brother." He snapped his fingers in an aw shucks motion, causing everyone to laugh.

"Thanks for coming B--"

His 'brother' interrupted him, "Yeah, thanks for coming Brad's girlfriend. Means a lot." Bradley punched him lightly on the arm. In response, Jake merely wiggled his eyebrows.

"Well it was fun," Sabrina replied, then pointed to her baseball-loving friend, "Its my first time seeing this guy play. And I gotta say, Im quite impressed."

"Ooh your girlfriend's impressed," Jake snickered.

"She's not my girlfriend J." For some reason, a pang of hurt hit her. Although it was true they weren't dating at all.

"Yeah, Brads' and I are just bffs. Speaking of which, wanna come over tonight?"

"Sure B."

Jake slapped his arm, "The scouts are coming. Look sharp." The two players straightened their shirts and adjusted their hats before the scouts arrived in front of them.

The female glanced down at her clipboard, "Mr. Short and Mr. Perry, right?" She asked, looking back up at them.

"Yes, nice to meet you ma'am," Bradley replied then shifted his eyes to the man stood beside her, "Sir."

Jake spoke something similar, along those lines. They all shook hands. Sabrinas phone went off once again, she leaned over and whispered into Bradley's ear, "Gotta take this. Meet me at the bleachers after?" He nodded, and she walked off towards a less crowded area.

Once getting to a more secluded area, she answered her phone. Marie yelled from the other end. "I've been calling you for the past two hours! What gives? Sabrina Ann Lyn Carpenter, you are in deep trouble!" She screamed so loudly, the blonde actually had to hold the phone away from her ear.

"I was at Brads' baseball game," She responded, biting her lip she added, "Guess I didn't hear you calling." It was a small white lie but she couldn't reveal the fact that she had actually been ignoring her calls.

"Whatever, just get to the studio right now." Sabrina gazed over at Bradley, he turned to her. His brown eyes met her blue ones, he grinned and gave two thumbs up. Afterwards, he turned back around to face the scouts. Her lips curled into a wide smile in reaction. "Sabrina?"

"Sorry Marie, I'm busy today."

"With what?"

She let out a laugh, "Hanging out with my best friend."

"Sabrina I'm serious, you do not have time to be stalling. If you want to make it in the music industry, there is no time to be slacking off."

"Marie have you ever heard the saying, 'work hard, play hard'?"

"Are you seriously pulling that card right now? Get to the studio."

It took a lot of courage to take the highway, but it was his big day. And she couldnt wreck it for her own selfish reasons. "No."

"No?" Marie's voice grew more stern, "No?"

"No. I have plans today. I told you, I'm hanging out with my best friend. It's his big day and he's counting on me to be here. I'm not leaving so you can go and tell me everything I'm doing wrong."

"Look, I'm sorry for what I did to make you feel that way. But sweetie you have to understand that we have a deadline to make. And we're cutting close especially because we have 0 songs recorded. It'd mean a large amount to me if you come through today. I'm counting on you too. But if you really feel that you need today off, fine. It's your choice."

"Marie.."

"I have to go, I'll be waiting for you in the studio."

With that, she hung up, leaving Sabrina desperately questioning what to do. She had two choices, stay and have Marie upset with her. Or leave, and let down Bradley. She felt a hand on her shoulder and spun around. He stood there, beaming. "Ready to go, B?" He asked her. She stood there, not knowing what to say. He caught on and grew concerned. His grin faded, "Is something wrong?"

Looking at his face, sensing how much he cared for her, she knew what decision to make. She smiled, "Nothing's wrong. Let's head out."