Prologue

"We're safe now," I whispered, leaning against the elevator wall. "We made it out."

Annabeth nodded slightly, and slumped against the elevator doors. We just sat there, both of us too tired and traumatized to talk.

My eyes were slowly closing, and I was drifting into unconsciousness, when Annabeth screamed. The sound echoed off the metal walls and my eyes snapped open. I instinctively reached for riptide, but by then it was too late. The elevator doors was closing again, and I just saw Annabeth's face, as she fell into the darkness, before it shut completely.

I couldn't believe what had happened. My girlfriend had just fallen back into Tartarus.

After about 30 seconds I got over my shock. I screaming and crying, and banging my fist against the elevator doors. I didn't want to go back into Tartarus, but if Annabeth was down there, then I wanted to go help her. We barely made it out together, we were going to close the doors of death once I got out. Annabeth would be stuck down there forever.

The doors opened finally up to a room somewhere in the mortal world. I stumbled out, and collapsed on the ground. The last thing I heard was someone screaming my name, before the world went black.