Chapter 10

Three nights. Three sleepless nights. Three nights of wondering about my girlfriend's death.

I didn't want to leave my room that morning. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep. I didn't want this to be real. I wished more than anything that I could wake up in the Poseidon Cabin, the summer after we killed Kronos. I wished Gaea had never started another war, and the prophecy of seven was left for some other generation to deal with. I wished I could have my life back.

Why couldn't I be normal? Why couldn't have I have two normal parents, live a normal life, and have normal friends? Why did I have to be a demigod? Why me?

I finally managed to convince myself that feeling bad for myself wouldn't help matters, and dragged to the shower. After showering, I walked around like a zombie, getting ready for the day. By the time I was ready, it was actually still pretty early in the morning. It was later than I usually got up, but most of the army would probably still be asleep. Not bothering to put on my mask, I opened my door and walked out into the brightly lit hallway.

"Morning," I said, walking into the kitchen. Alpha was the only one up, like usual. I briefly wondered why she was always awake so early. Was it because she thought it was her duty? Or was because of me?
"Morning," she replied. She was still in her pyjamas and her hair was in a messy ponytail- yet she was still wearing her mask. I wonder if she wears it to bed.

"How're you today?" I asked tiredly, my words slurring together a little.

"Tired," she said, handing me a mug of coffee.

"Thanks," I murmured, taking a sip. I looked out the window and nearly dropped my mug. "Is- is it raining outside?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yep," Alpha said, popping the p. "Training's cancelled today. I figure we should let the army sleep in and just have a bit of a lazy day."
"I thought Mr. D controlled the weather?" I asked, confused.

Alpha shrugged, "Guess he's having a bad day."

"You gonna bother going to breakfast?" I asked her. I walked over to the couch and plopped down on it. I kicked my feet up and rested them on the coffee table.

"No," she said, sitting down beside me. "Anytime I'm around the campers is extremely awkward. If I have an excuse to miss it, I'm taking advantage of that.

I smiled, "Fair enough." We sat in silence for a couple minutes- I felt like we had been doing that a lot lately.

"So, Chiron says that the Hunters are coming to camp today," Alpha told me.

"Well isn't today just an amazing day to come to camp?" I asked. "The one day the sun isn't shining."

"Well, that sucks for them," Alpha replied.

"Not the words I'd use, but that's pretty much it," I laughed. It felt weird to laugh; kind of foreign. Like I wasn't used to the feeling.

"I think I'm gonna head back to bed," Alpha said, standing up. "I left a note on the counter explaining that training was cancelled and we're not doing anything today. See you later." She put her mug in the sink, then walked back to her room.

I sighed and stood up, dumping out the coffee I didn't finish. I left my mug in the sink and walked back to my room, wishing I could enjoy my day of relaxation.

***

I was standing in the middle of camp. It was a cloudy, but it wasn't raining like it had been before. I couldn't see anyone around me. I turned in a circle, trying to see if anyone was in the camp. Not seeing any campers or members of my army, I decided to check if there was anyone Naiads in the lake. I kneeled on the ground and reached toward the water. The lake looked clear from a distance, but when my hand touched the surface, the water turned to poison.

I quickly jumped back, wondering what on earth was going on.

"Perseus Jackson," I heard a voice hiss in my ear. I spun on my heel, but there wasn't anything behind me. "You aren't safe here. You aren't safe anywhere. I will find you."

***

I woke up to voices. Okay, that's not very descriptive. Let me try again. I woke with a start, having no idea where I was. Rain was falling from the sky, giving the impression that the clouds were crying. After a couple seconds, I realized I was lying by the shrine. How the Hades did I get there? I look around panting hard, trying to figure what was going on.

That's when I heard the voices.

It sounded like there was two people talking- a boy and a girl. I recognized their voices, but I couldn't name them. I assumed they were walking through the forest near where I was so I held my breath, hoping they wouldn't notice me as they walked by.

"I'm telling you," the boy said. "There something off about them."

"Are you sure you're not just judging them too quickly?" the girl asked. "I mean you barely know them."

"I know them well enough. They're weird. None of them ever talk, unless it's to give an order or something. And that leader- Omega?- there's something off about him." Why were they talking about me? "He's... he seems familiar in a way. It's like I knew him once..." He thought I was familiar... what if figured it out?

"Don't worry Jason-" The rest of the girls were lost, as I realized who the voices belonged to- Thalia and Jason Grace.