Chapter 18

I woke up to darkness. That was pretty usual for me, considering I liked my room to be pitch black when I went to sleep. But this was different. This darkness seemed to be pushing it's way in, and forcing all the light out.

I groaned in pain when I moved. Pain shot through me whenever I moved an inch. I felt something enclosed around my wrist. At first I couldn't tell what it was, all I knew was that it was cutting off my blood circulation. I reached down to feel what was there and realized in astonishment that they were chains. Like the stone floor under me, the metal chains were cold to the touch. I tried pulling my arms forward to see if they would loosen at all, but I had no such luck. All it did was make my arms hurt like hell.

I tried to figure out where I was, and how I got there. My memory was really fuzzy. I thought back to what happened the day before. I remembered Alpha. I was in the cabin with Alpha yesterday. She told me something- something important.

"Bianca," I whispered.

"Hello Percy," she said.

Alpha was Bianca. That's right! Hades had given her a second chance at life. Then that night, I tried to leave the cabin. Bianca came after me. She tried to stop me from doing something. I couldn't remember what. I told her I would always love her... I did whatever I was doing for her. I didn't want her to get hurt because of me. I left... And then I surrendered myself.

The memories came rushing back. I was in the enemy territory. I was being held prisoner.

***

Nothing happened for a day. The most interesting thing was a tray that got slid through the small crack at the base of the wall. On the tray, was a piece of stale bread and a tiny glass of water. I finished them both in seconds.

Sometime in the afternoon (I assumed), the door swung open with a loud creak. I squinted my eyes against the sudden light that came in from the outside. Then a shape blocked the light. The shape of a man. I tried to look up at his face, but he was too tall. The door swung back close behind him, but there was still enough light in the room to see his silhouette.

"Hello Perseus Jackson," I heard a deep voice say. "I have been waiting a long time to meet you."

"Who are you?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"And why would I tell you that?" he asked. "We are on a need to know basis here."

"Great..." I murmured tiredly. I had no idea why I was acting like this. Even when I didn't sleep for days, I still managed to act like everything was okay. Clearly that was not the case now. I wondered briefly if it was possible they had drugged me. I still didn't remember what happened after I left Alpha at the cabin, so it wouldn't surprise if they did drug me.

"My, my, you really are out of it, aren't you?" the man asked, crouching in front of me. "Oh well, I guess you won't have many answers for me. But still, that means that it will be easier to get into your head."

"What do you mean, get into my head?" I asked.

"Oh don't worry, it won't hurt that much. It will just feel like a bunch of knives are being stabbed into your head. And I guess seeing everything from your past might be a little upsetting..."

"My past?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied. "We're going to be looking through your memories. All the happy moments and the sad moments."

"Why?" I croaked out.

"I need some information. It's obvious that you're not going to answer me in this state, so I guess this is the easiest way." He stood up, and walked back a bit. He held out his hand, and I started chanting. My first reaction was to try to move, so he couldn't hit me with the spell, but apparently that wasn't how magic worked. "It's impossible to escape magic," he told me. "I can cast this spell wherever you are in the world."