Chapter 3

"What?!" Alpha and I screamed at the same time.

Chaos cringed, "And this was why I wanted you to promise not freak out."

"Not freak out?" Alpha exclaimed. "How could we not freak out?" She started pacing back and forth, clutching her hair and muttering under her breath a little. It was freaking me out a bit. I watched her pace for a couple more seconds, then turned back to Chaos.

"I don't want to help them," I said, my voice low and threatening. I wasn't freaking out on the outside, I had learned over the years how to make myself look calm, but I was having an emotional turmoil on the inside. I was surprised that my voice didn't shake or crack.

Chaos sighed and actually sounded apologetic as he said, "I'm afraid that I already told them we would help, Omega. I can't back out now."

"Did you not think about us? Did you not think about how we might feel? They banished us! I'll never forgive them for that. And now you-" My voice cracked. "-you want us to help them? You want us to risk our lives so they don't die?"

"Sometimes I have to make decisions not everyone agrees with."

"Not everyone agrees with?!" I yelled. "Do you have any idea how I feel right now? And look at Alpha! Is it really worth it? Is it really worth hurting us, so that they can live?"

Chaos had a pained look on his face. I was glad; I wanted him to feel bad about saying yes to helping fight their war. I wanted him to understand how I felt.

"Percy..." he said.

"That's not my name!" I yelled. "I am not him anymore! I left that life behind me when I joined your army!"

"I'm sorry, Omega. We have to help them fight," There was a finality in his tone. But I could also hear a little sadness. "We leave tomorrow."

My eyes flickered over to Alpha, who was still having a slight anxiety attack. "Are you sure we'll be ready to go by tomorrow?" I asked, only half joking.

Chaos smiled a little. "I'm sure you'll figure it out." He sighed. "I guess I have to tell the rest of the army the news."

"I guess so," I said. For the first time that day, I actually felt a little bad for him.

***

"...And so we leave tomorrow." There were shouts of protests- so many shouts of protest. We were in the banquet hall, with Chaos and I at the front of the room, and everyone else sitting at the long tables. Chaos sat down, and watched everyone in silence. He had just finished telling the army that we were going to help the Olympians fight their war.

Since everyone here hated the gods, you can imagine that no one really agreed with the plan. I just sat there in silence, watching the army. Alpha was in her room with her best friend, Dawn. Dawn was trying to calm Alpha down, since she was having a full fledged panic attack. I swear, Dawn was probably the only one who didn't completely freak out when she heard the news. As for me, I had calmed down since my earlier outburst, and although I didn't agree with it, I had come to terms with the plan.

"They hurt us," a girl named Mustang yelled over the noise. Everyone else shut up. "They betrayed us. Banished us. Why should we help them, when all they ever did was hurt us?"

"She has a good point," someone else spoke up, "They never did anything for us; they only hurt us. They had no right to ask our army for help."

Everyone else repeated them, saying that they didn't want to help, and that it wasn't fair. I stood up and everyone shut up.

"I understand that you're all upset," I said, my voice strong and clear: how a leader just sound. "I was upset as well when I found out the news. But we need to be reasonable; we shouldn't beat ourselves up over this. We have given our word to help them, and we shall do so. I do not completely agree with this plan, but I have come to terms with it, and so will you. I'm sure it won't be that bad."

"Omega's right," a girl named Lune said. "Besides, it's been ages since we saw them. Maybe they've changed over time."

"What about the kids at camp?" someone asked. I couldn't make out who it was in the sea of people. "I doubt they've changed at all."

"They probably have changed," I said. "After all, they did lose two of their heroes." It was one of the first times since I had gotten there that I had mentioned my past- that I had mentioned Annabeth.

"Rest In Peace, Annabeth Chase," the army said in Ancient Greek. There was a couple seconds of silence.

"Besides, won't there be different people at the camp?" Mustang spoke up again.

"Actually..." Chaos said, standing up. "Time passes a little differently here, than on earth. It has only been 2 human years since Omega came. So, there will be new campers, but most of the old ones will be there as well."

The army sat in silence, letting this information soak in. For us, it had been 2500 years, since I got here, not just 2 years. It was weird to think how different our world was.

"Are there any more questions?"I asked. No one said anything. "You can all go now, then."

Everyone filed out of the room. I slumped back in my chair, and put my head in my hands. I heard Chaos get up and leave, but just continued to sit there. I have no idea how much time had passed, before I opened my eyes again. I looked up at the night sky through the skylight in the ceiling.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. I pretended that they could hear me, although I knew there was no heaven; there was only the Underworld underneath me. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I tried, I really did. I never meant for any of this to happen. I'll avenge your deaths. I'll make you all proud."

And then a set of tears started- tears of sadness and regret. All those people who died... It wasn't fair: they deserved to live. And I deserved to die.