Chapter 7

I woke up in the middle of the night, breathing hard. I felt like I was trapped. I kicked my blankets off the bed and ripped my shirt of, throwing it across the room. I stood up and started pacing, running my hands through my hair. I thought I was over it, I honestly did.

It had been years. More than 2000 years. It hadn't bothered me in so long, but when I came back here, to camp, it haunted me again.

Her face was imprinted in my memory. The last glimpse I ever had of her. It should have been me. I should have died in her place. I shouldn't have let her go.

The rational part of me knew that it wasn't my fault. There wasn't anything I could have done to save her. But I wouldn't accept that. I would never get over it. I would always think about what I could have done. I could have gone back into Tartarus- I could have jumped back in. I could have tried to grab her, even if it was useless. I could have tried to save her.

But I didn't.

I didn't sleep for the rest of the night. I paced and paced. I stared out the window at the dark sky. I stood there, staring at the constellation that Artemis had made for Zoe Nightshade all those years ago for over an hour. After that, I broke down into tears.

By the time the sun rose, and filled my room with light, I was sitting on my floor, curled up in a ball, with my back to the window. Tears stains were streaked down my cheeks, and my hair was a mess.

All this because once upon a time, in another life, Annabeth had fallen back into Tartarus.

When I walked out of my room, after showering and trying to make myself look half decent, the only other person awake was Alpha.

"Omega, you don't look too good," she told me. Concern filled her voice, "Are you okay?"

I gave her a quick smile and said, "I'm fine." Because sometimes, you just have to lie.