Chapter Nine The Dance

Friday Morning! D-Day! I giggled at that thought, D-Day was a military word for the day of an operation start and it seemed fitting.

Beth was coming this morning to drop off her things; we were going to get ready at my house. Since my dad was gone Beth wanted to do it that way instead of her house with all of her bustling family. So we were going to school together in the morning carpooling. We still would have to stop by at her house before the dance, since her parents wanted to take photos and she had already instructed her date to pick her up there. The thought about who here date could be made my stomach turn into knots.

The school was humming with talk about the dance. I smiled as no one seemed to know what the gym looked like and the decorating team was keeping it tight lipped. I saw Jen in passing and she gave me and evil smile. I just smiled back and flipped her off. Whatever she had planned for tonight, I wasn’t going to get worked up about it right now. Beth and I took off to our classes. Josh said hi to me and hoped that I would have fun at the dance. He did look worried about something. I assumed because he knew something of Jen’s plan but not enough to really say anything. I wished him the same in return. He was trying to be friendly now so figured I would forgive him.

With the distraction of the dance the school day went by quickly. The dance started at 8pm. I had told Ayden to get to my house early since we had to go back to Beth’s for pictures and her date. We were all going to ride in Ayden’s car. Ayden wasn’t at school today which made me sad but, I wasn’t going to worry about it. I didn’t want anything to get me down for the dance.

“Should I put it on after I do my hair?” I was debating whether to do my hair before putting my dress on or not. We had been home from school for about an hour and both had showered and shaved and blow dried our hair. We looked in the mirror and both shook our heads no at the same time.

“Make-up, dress and then hair,” she instructed. She was better at this girly stuff than I was.

“Yes Sir,” I saluted her playfully.

“Shut it,” I said sarcastically, as she started to apply make-up looking in the mirror.

I put on light layers of shimmery earth tone colors. My skin’s complexion was already pretty clear so I didn’t need much. I was pleased with the result. I added some dusty rose glossy lip gloss that made my lips shine gently. Not perfect more than I usually wear but it looked pretty and not overdone.

Beth was going for dramatic, a thick swath of black eyeliner and ruby red lips. I guess it fit with her whole outfit being black. We put on the dresses. The slinky material slipped on easily and it draped over my curves making light swishing noises. We worked on our hair light loose flowing curls all around my head for me; I added some volumizing product so it shaped around my face gracefully. Beth was leaving hers super straight with the flat iron. She was going for a Goth look which was different for her but I liked it.

Soon, we were ready we grabbed our shoes and went downstairs to wait for Ayden. Shoes are put on at the last minute, we will be wearing them all night and we both had heels we didn’t want to kill our feet before we had a chance to dance. A light knock echoed through the house and we both smiled at each other. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach anticipating Ayden’s reaction.

Smiling as I opened the door, Ayden’s eyes widened as he took in my appearance his eyes wondering over my whole ensemble. An array of emotions fluttered across his face. His reaction made me blush. His eyes started to do that color change I had noticed and he blinked a few times and it was gone. It was my turn for my eyes to widen he had on a pressed sleek black suit that had to have been tailor made for his body. Not a wrinkle anywhere and it immaculately clung to his contours in all the right places. I did notice his tie it was one of those skinnier ties and it was all shiny silver over a brilliant white dress shirt. I smiled as somehow we were able to match.